Zero turn vs lawn tractor for commercial use? Opinions?

Jackman":2d9mlwr7 said:
That looks like one of them thar You Till I Tee vehicles :lol: the type that does many things, mow,plow,rotary broom, but nothing really good , check the deck its stamped steel and shallow and just plain wimpy . ZTR is basically the industry standard now just about every lawn and landscape opertion runs ZTR's.

Here's a real mower , 29 hp, a real mower deck (out front too), 12 gallon gas tank and a low center of gravity this unit would run circles around the JD in the pic.


DSC06128.JPG


OK here's something more professional grade:

ToroGM3280D-1.jpg


F-Series-Mowing-Baseball.jpg


If I were doing the work, I had rather hold a steering wheel. Just personal preference.

Al
 
Can't see the pic only shows a rear tire too big, but looks industrial like for a school or similar.

I bet if you were doing the work you'd see the light and want a ztr :wink:
 
Jackman" I bet if you were doing the work you'd see the light and want a ztr :wink:[/quote said:
I have had a ZTR for several years, and so far I am not that impressed by them. Mine is a good rig, but for my use and mowing, it is only slightly better than a tractor type with hydro-stat. If you get a tractor type, make sure it has the control mounted close to the steering wheel, not on the rear fender.
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":2lcftmwj said:
I have had a ZTR for several years, and so far I am not that impressed by them. Mine is a good rig, but for my use and mowing, it is only slightly better than a tractor type with hydro-stat. If you get a tractor type, make sure it has the control mounted close to the steering wheel, not on the rear fender.

In my area they're a status symbol. Only advantage I see to a ZTR is fast ground speed if you are mowing yards that are flat and perfectly square. Folks I have talked to that are in the biz say an efficient operator can make a rear engine mower like I was talking about or even a regular tractor cover just about as much ground, maybe more under the right conditions. Around here you see a lot of cowboys running ZTRs faster than the yard conditions can stand. Then you end up with torn up yards where they pivot on every turn or even better having to spend 30 minutes to an hour trying to get out of the ditch.

I prefer a steering wheel because I can run it with one hand.

Back to the original question: Stick with what's paid for, upgrade later.

Al
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":n9y8nkdn said:
Jackman" I bet if you were doing the work you'd see the light and want a ztr :wink:[/quote:n9y8nkdn said:
I have had a ZTR for several years, and so far I am not that impressed by them. Mine is a good rig, but for my use and mowing, it is only slightly better than a tractor type with hydro-stat. If you get a tractor type, make sure it has the control mounted close to the steering wheel, not on the rear fender.

Depends what kinda ztr you have, like I said the word "Commercial" gets tossed around a bit as a selling point in the end many "Commercial" ztr's are home owner junk, Husky, CC and Toro are at the top of the junk heap , what do you run? I have three Exmarks there good mowers I like them cut 50 lawns a week for years
 
Back
Top