Yellow Dog Lantern

Jeff Silvey

501 Club
Well I have always wanted a yellow dog. I have been to ant. engines/tractors shows for 30+ years. They are used with the Oil Field engine's to mark them at night to find the engines when they quit. The yellow dogs is a little $. If anyone has been to the engine show in Portland IN knows what I'm talking about they are really cool. My good friend that owned an big engine design a few of these yellow dogs. He has sensed pass. His Name is Ron Trent. So I acquired a CI pot that was my late moms that she used to put moister from the fireplace in the air in the winter time. Dad passed so I got it I thought it would be cool for something. So I made a yellow dog. I cleaned the pot out because it had a lot of lime in it. I seasoned the CI with oil.

For the wick I used a unused mop. Cut about 2.5" wide of the mop at the middle. (Got idea from the Portland show this year.)
Then twisted it then put a piece or two of wire around the mop.
Filled the pot with kerosene about 1" to soak the wick.
Tilled it to get to the end.
Took it outside to light it was awesome.
Then put it out looks awesome.

Remember to do all this outside (Flammable). SAFETY first.
Moderators if you want you can put this in how to.

Thanks enjoy
Jeff

IMG_1577.JPG

IMG_1572.JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

IMG_1573.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":1818yl6p said:
reminds of the old highway department flare pots they used to have all over the place in Mo.
That's what I thought also. Try finding those anywhere other than Ebay these days.
 
The flare pots I remember were round. Never heard of a yellow dog, but neat idea. Good way to preserve the past. Must admit, I kept expecting "Ole Yeller" to jump out at any time.
 
My wife has always wanted a Yellow Dog, but like Jeff says, real ones are quite pricey. Even reproductions cost more than she is willing to spend. Have often thought about making one like yours, Jeff. Good tip on the wick!
 
Good job, Jeff. I have one of those teakettles that we used to use for the same thing.

(you have enough mop left to make yourself a wig.) :wink:
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":1yru00me said:
reminds of the old highway department flare pots they used to have all over the place in Mo.

The older guys in the Road Department call them smudge pots.


Russ
 
Russ I'm not that young but that's what my grandfather, dad & others in that age group called them as well. I have two of those pots in different styles.
 
I remember "smudge pots". That was back when the county vehicles had black fenders. School buses were orange/black and DOT trucks were (poop) brown/black instead of Federal yellow.
 
Jeff Silvey":3tp377go said:
Russ I'm not that young but that's what my grandfather, dad & others in that age group called them as well. I have two of those pots in different styles.

Guessing the new "'dew" threw him off..... :D
 
So funny to read this thread, I wanted one so BAD. I found a guy on internet who reproduces one from 1887. He does his own castings. So I ordered one for $$$$ and recieved it in the mail. It weighs like 35 pounds. Filled it with citrinella oil and burn it when I am outside hanging out. One of the coolest things I have purchased in a long time. It sure drives the flies away.
Robert (loves the yellow dog) Miller
 
The mop looks better on the ramp than it does on Jeff. Or maybe the ramp just looks better than Jeff!
 
Back
Top