Winter projects.

Eugene

501 Club
Started setting things up for winter projects.

Kohler K341 engine. Spark plug wire was pulled out of block. Planed on repairing the magneto ignition. Pulled the flywheel. No magneto coil, center bar for the coil missing. Capacitor missing. Brand new set of ignition points.

Said a few things, well darn, shucks, and other things. Wondered why anyone would spend the time to remove the flywheel, remove the magneto, then reassemble the engine. Thought about it for a while. Will convert to battery powered ignition which will be a lot less expensive than purchasing a magneto coil and trying to find the bar. Plus, I have the parts on hand for the battery ignition.

Black walnuts. Most nuts are hulled and in storage bins, curing. Winter project, cracking and picking the meats. Black walnuts fell about 2 weeks before the local hulling station opened. Poor crop this year. Talked to the operator of the hulling station. He had only 141 pounds of nuts purchased on that date. Last year the hulling station purchased over 22K pounds of hulled nuts.

Standard Cub. Planning on removing the rear end from a narrow framed, manual drive, Cub Cadet and rebuilding the standard Cub's transmission.

Wife's project. Wife has some thick rough edged black walnut slabs that she wants to turn into stand. Past couple of winters wife and I have rebuilt camel backed trunks.
 
I hope by reading your "to do" list that you're feeling somewhat better in movement and health.

I have some things I'd like to do as well:
  • install a door leading from our bedroom to the attic (via the back of our closet); currently has a plywood door
  • will continue work on the 1942 AV
  • need to look at the wiring on the 1980 Cub Cadet 782; runs fine, but dies with PTO is engaged
  • been wanting to do some bandsaw work to make a set of IH look-alike letters; similar to this:
    435872-small.jpg
 
Sounds like both of you have your plans all made. I want to replace oil pan gasket and rear seal retainer on my mowing/tilling cub this winter, beyond that no particular plans.

Stanton, I am not familiar with your 782, but the first place I would look is seat switch, followed by reverse safety switch. You probably are already thinking about those 2 items though. I never quite figured out the logic behind that reverse switch that killed the engine if pto was engaged when backing up, but I do know of one or two of them that the switch failed on though. If you take a lawn tractor to a dealer for any service and any of those supposed safety switches are not working they are required to fix them though.
 
Title should be winter and rainy day projects.

More rain yesterday and today since the last decent rain on 12 June.

Did get some inside projects completed.

Still have several projects on my todo list other than listed.
 
way to much to list....money and time for me......Bike needs out of basement...both tractors need split.......H needs rim and tire and Intake manifold.......always something to do or nothing!!!!!!!
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":33d7vsgy said:
Sounds like both of you have your plans all made. I want to replace oil pan gasket and rear seal retainer on my mowing/tilling cub this winter, beyond that no particular plans.

Stanton, I am not familiar with your 782, but the first place I would look is seat switch, followed by reverse safety switch. You probably are already thinking about those 2 items though. I never quite figured out the logic behind that reverse switch that killed the engine if pto was engaged when backing up, but I do know of one or two of them that the switch failed on though. If you take a lawn tractor to a dealer for any service and any of those supposed safety switches are not working they are required to fix them though.

A 1980 782 would be before lawyers got their hands too much in lawn and tractor designs - reverse safety switches were towards the late '90s at the earliest. But pto, seat and neutral start switches were in full vogue by 1980, which 2 of those switches appearing in the 1960s (PTO and Neutral Start Switches, seat switches were towards the end of that decade).
 
I have about 15 chainsaws to repair. Some need a complete tear down. I purchased the factory tools to work with. Once the snow is gone it’s my 154 mower.
 
Back
Top