Windows 10

Eugene

501 Club
Currently have Windows 7 installed. Getting ads for free down load of Windows 10.

Do I do it?

Thoughts and opinions wanted.
 
My daughter has made the move. She likes it.

I should tell you that she is a techie and her job is doing Technical Support. So you decide. :lol:
 
I like it. I had to re-load one free spyware program but other than that it was seamless. Everything is easy to find and the new browser (Edge) is supposed to be the fastest loading of all. They guaranteed that there will be support for 10 years, which is a big plus.
 
My wife and I have each upgraded and do not regret it. It's different and there will be some learning to do, but that's the case with everything new. Edge is definitely faster.
 
I've upgraded 2 systems - one from Win7 the other from 8.1. Loving it so far. A few things don't quite gee-haw between Edge and some internet sites but Internet Explorer was the same way. It does seem faster.
 
Heard there was a scam related to windows 10. Know your source! My computer is so old that it won't support new OS. Eight years old currently running unsupported.
 
I upgraded a 4 year old Dell from windows 7 and have a problem with the screen resolution. The monitor is a Dell 24" wide screen. The text and all icons are large and pictures are stretched horizontally. I can just reduce the size of text and icons but then can't read them. I have tried changing the resolution in the control panel but this option is grayed out and won't let me make changes. Unless I can get this figured out soon, guess I'll have to seek professional help. It may be a simple fix but at this point I am not very happy with Windows 10.
 
Look for an option on the page that says something like change options not currently available. Makes you give it admin approval before it's available. Have you enabled larger text or something in accessibility or ease of access?
 
After all of the frustration of trying to get the screen resolution resolved I shut the computer down and had breakfast. When I restarted it the problem had gone away and there was a message that said "Several updates installed." Maybe just posting the problem on this forum solved it. :)
 
If a cub were run off a windows platform, it would have been obsolete, unusable trash in 5 years.
OR - Since production ended around 1979, it would have run off a mainframe or an atari and it would be a collectible! (that must be it)
Where's the floppy drive?
 
I'm sure most of you have seen this at some time or other. Still good for a grin or This is a real Golden Oldie, which I got off the Net, but without an attribution. If you know it, could you email it to me for inclusion? Thanks .

At a recent computer exposition, Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: "If General Motors had kept up with the technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25.00 cars that got 1,000 miles to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, GM issued a press release stating: "If General Motors had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:

For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
Every time they repainted the lines in the road, you would have to buy a new car.
Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason. You would have to pull over to the side of the road, close all of the windows, shut off the car, restart it, and reopen the windows before you could continue. For some reason, you would simply accept this.
Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, was reliable, five times as fast and twice as easy to drive -- but would run on only five percent of the roads.
The oil, water temperature, and alternator warning lights would all be replaced by a single "General Protection Fault" warning light.
The airbag system would ask "Are you sure?" before deploying.
Occasionally, for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grabbed hold of the radio antenna.
Every time GM introduced a new car, car buyers would have to learn to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
You'd have to press the "Start" button to turn the engine off.
 
Absolutely timeless, Roy! Haven't seen that for a while.
I too have been getting offers for free upgrade to Win. 10, I'm not going to jump too quick.
 
LOL @ Roy! I still love that one! Have to give MS credit for improving the system a lot. I have systems now that run for weeks or months without a reboot, almost as reliable as Linux. Compatibility and ease of installing things has gotten better.

@ outdoors4evr > My broken right brake pedal is looking pretty floppy right now! ;P
 
Finally got Windows 10 loaded and running. Only took 6th tries.

Only thing that didn't come up and I can not find on the computer is my PC security and tune up program. Have the rescue disk for the program. Will reinstall later tonight.
 
Finally got Windows 10 fully installed. Had a couple of problems.

1. One of my drivers was 3 years old, described as ancient by the menu on the screen. Cost me $30- for a program to update drivers.

2. Security and computer maintenance program did not transfer from Windows 8 to Windows 10. Had the backup disk to reinstall the program. Program instructions asked for license number and product key. Had the license number, no product key. 3 or 4 days of e-mails and a chat contact with the vendor. E-mails kept sending me new license numbers but no product key. Finally a 30 minute phone call to the service center, located some mysterious location overseas. Repeated attempts in English. Finally conversation reverted to spelling out names using the phonetic alphabet. My name is spelled golf, alpha, romeo, romeo, etc.. My e-mail address is spelled: oscar, sierra, alpha, etc..

Finally the individual on the other end of the phone call understood my request. Answer is the product key is the same as the license number.
 
Eugene I'm very suspicious of a $30 program to update drivers. Win10 has a driver for almost every device in existence for the last decade unless it's proprietary or very obscure. And if it doesn't have a driver you should be able to get it from the manufacturer of the product (mainboard, chipset, printer, display adapter, etc) You also don't really need a security program because Windows Defender is included with it and it's been pretty reliable in my experience over the last couple of years, unless you spend an awful lot of time on very questionable websites or have a bad habit of clicking anything that pops up. I'm worried you've gotten snookered into some bad software.
 
Back
Top