VR/rectifier replaced on CC RZT 50

I got the opportunity to run/cut grass with my mower after changing the VR/rectifier on my mower a couple weeks ago. If you want to read the background click on this link. https://farmallcub.com/community/threads/volt-meter-on-my-cc-rzt-50.119650/ So after changing the VR and fully charging the battery to a reading of 12.8v, I put it storage for the next use and disconnected the battery to ensure there was no drain on the battery. Today I reconnected the battery with a reading of 12.6v, started and the VR immediately showed a reading of 14.2v, ran it cutting grass for about 2.5 hr with a couple stops and restarts during the time of use. At the end of the use the VR still read 12.6v so I disconnected the battery and put the mower in storage until the next mowing cycle. I hope this resolves my starting/battery problem. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Stan
 

Attachments

  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 4
  • volt meter 2.jpeg
    volt meter 2.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 4
Second run (and hopefully the last) update with new VR/Rectifier: Ran for another 2.5 hr cutting exercise today. Battery ground was disconnected after previous use and without any charge since the last it still held a charge of 12.4v. Reconnected the ground and started the engine and voltage dropped to 12.2v before starting but within about a minute the voltage went back to 12.8v and within a couple of minutes was reading 13.4v, cut the grass and made one stop/restart for fuel top-off. After completing the cutting before final shutdown reading was 14.4v. I did observe that the VR/Rectifier was a bit warm to the touch but I'm not aware if this is normal or not. Hopefully this repair is done for now. I must say that the new voltmeter was a significant asset to help track what was happening with the charging system. Stan
 
I'd say all your numbers look good. "A bit warm to the touch" is pretty normal for a lot of electrical components.
 
I'd say all your numbers look good. "A bit warm to the touch" is pretty normal for a lot of electrical components.
Thanks Jim, The aftermarket VR/Regulator and replacing the lost mounting screw total cost was about $15. Thanks for your suggestions and direction as well as all the other members who took the time to help. BTW the mounting screw was a 1/4 x 20 x 1.25 long, got one at the hardware store! :) (y) Stan
 

Attachments

  • reg oem p5.jpg
    reg oem p5.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top