Unwanted Visitors At The Barnyard Annex

Barnyard

Moderator
Staff member
Rosanne came in this afternoon and said it looked like the front door was open on our old house across the road so I went to take a look. The outside storm door was closed but the inner door was half open. When I opened the outer door to go in I stopped and called the police. I could see that a well placed boot against the door busted the locks off so they could get in. Someone had sprinkled Comet cleanser on the floor just inside the front door in a pattern and stuck a screw driver in the middle of the pattern. They went so far as to put the Comet can back on the mantle where they found it instead of just tossing it on the floor. I didn’t know if anyone was still inside so I figured I’d let the Sheriff’s department search it. After the Deputy and I went through we found a back door open and a few things scattered around the floors. No bodies in the back rooms or the [strikethrough]dungeon[/strikethrough] cellar either. The deputy asked if I wanted a report but since nothing was taken I said no. After thinking about it, I'm gonna call my detective buddy who is investigating the neighbor's break in from a few weeks ago and see what he thinks.

house_break-in1.JPG


house_break-in2.JPG


house_break-in3.JPG


house_break-in4.JPG
 
Who keeps Comet on the Mantle??????? :? :? :? :lol:

My first impression is that it is some ghost hunters. Sprinkling flour or talcum powder on the floor then checking later to see if it has been disturbed. Local Historical Society hosts them a couple times a year and that's one of many "tricks" they use, and it's getting close to Halloween. Legitimate groups would ask. Some rogue amatuer wannabe might just kick in the door of what he thinks is the local haunted house.
 
Report the incident. Finger prints may be on moved items. My guess, local teenagers.

Loud fire alarm or bell, couple of motion activated switches. Make sure your home owners liability insurance covers the Annex, in case the trespasser injures him/her self.
 
I bet they come back , maybe install one of those inexpensive trail cameras that the wild life folk use :idea:
 
I have infra red motion sensors scattered around the barnyard that send a signal to a base station on our kitchen counter. Each sensor has it's own address and I can record a different message for each sensor. If some one is near the barn the base says there is some one by the barn, if someone pulls in the drive it tells me that and so on for each sensor. The sensors pick up motion for up to 40 feet and can send a signal to the base up to 300-400 feet away and go through walls very well. I am going to move on of the sensors, change the message and mount it in the front room of the house. The house my be just out of range but worth the shot.
 
My bet is that the house was entered into by a Sasquatch :shock: :shock: They are smarter that humans, you now. :roll: Rather than open the door or kick it in with their huge foot, they are smart enough to get a boot and hit the door with it to elude us into thinking it was humans, not squatches that did it. :wink:
 
I say buy some more cleaning supplies, comet, glass cleaner and a mop & bucket. Maybe it's some crazy person wanting to clean the place up!! :lol: :lol: If that works, buy some paint and brushes. If that works, give them my address. :lol:
 
Just did a test on the motion sensor. The sensor is 350 feet from the base station. The signal has to go through seven walls and cross the street (looking both ways before doing so). All testing went flawlessly so we are good to go. The beam is set about four feet above the floor so the four legged residents don't wake me in the middle of the night. Hey, I wonder if those tricky raccoons spilled that Comet and stuck the screwdriver in the floor Just to scare me off so they can keep their home.

New info, I called the Sheriff back and filed a report. An hour later Rosie saw some teens coming out of the yard but when I got to the front door they were standing across from the house in the church yard. As they walked away one kept looking back toward the house. When I went over about thirty minutes later to mow the yard I found the screen door open but nothing else. I was curious if one of them had tried the door to see if it was still broke. I should have tackled him and measured his shoe against the print on the door. :lol:

While I was installing the sensor, the neighbor on that side came out and said she was going to call me the other night because she saw two teen girls and four teen boys wandering through the yard. She lost sight of them for a bit but saw them later walking on, so she thought nothing more of it. I have a feeling we have kids with nothing to do.
 
Barnyard":fliuqimi said:
Just did a test on the motion sensor. The sensor is 350" from the base station. The signal has to go through seven walls and cross the street (looking both ways before doing so). ......................
Seven walls and a street? OK, if it's a narrow street, what maybe 20 feet wide? So that leaves seven walls, which would contain six rooms. 350 inches is a little over 29 feet so that leaves the rooms at about 18 inches wide. Is the annex a doll house by chance??????

:lol: :lol: :lol: I LOVE TYPOS :!: :!: :!:
 
Scrivet":10kys2j7 said:
Barnyard":10kys2j7 said:
Just did a test on the motion sensor. The sensor is 350" from the base station. The signal has to go through seven walls and cross the street (looking both ways before doing so). ......................
Seven walls and a street? OK, if it's a narrow street, what maybe 20 feet wide? So that leaves seven walls, which would contain six rooms. 350 inches is a little over 29 feet so that leaves the rooms at about 18 inches wide. Is the annex a doll house by chance??????

:lol: :lol: :lol: I LOVE TYPOS :!: :!: :!:
I need to keep my hand off that shift key or start spelling out more things. :lol: The post has been edited for Clara Fication.
 
Barnyard - Would you please post some information on the IR Motion detectors and Base Station you have?
That might help me solve an issue. I like the feature that you can assign them different messages.
Thanks.
 
Here is the web site for the system I use. http://www.voicealert.net/ When I got mine 5 or 6 years ago there was a local rep I could buy from. When I contacted the maker the other day I was told by their marketing rep to go to Amazon.

Now for the fine print. While they say it will pick up motion up to 40' I have found that passing cars 60' away will set it off. If you have dogs then you don't want it aimed at the ground. I have had no problems with mine buy keep in mind, there is newer technology out there.
 
outdoors4evr":1qc63g9r said:
Barnyard - Would you please post some information on the IR Motion detectors and Base Station you have?
That might help me solve an issue. I like the feature that you can assign them different messages.
Thanks.

Yes, please post info. Thanks
 
Back
Top