Unusual tree

Was helping neighbor look for some cattle that had gotten out when a tree fell on his electric fence, and while doing so I came a cross a tree I had never knowingly seen the like of in this area before. This location is about 70 miles south/southwest of St. Louis, an area not known for what I would consider tropical trees.

1106181407.jpg1106181412 small.jpg

They are growing along the high water mark of an old abandoned tiff (Baryte) strip mine settling pond. I had never noticed one in this area, but when I talked to a member of the Forestry Department of the Missouri Conservation Commission, he confirmed what I thought it was, and said they were not native to this area but would grow here, and did not require the wet damp areas many people thought they did. Before they drop their needle like leaves in the fall they look like evergreens due to the shape of the leaves.
 

Attachments

  • 1106181408 small.jpg
    1106181408 small.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 2,811
  • 1106181412a small.jpg
    1106181412a small.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2,811
I called Forestry department and by my description they confirmed the trees are bald cypress. All trees breathe through their roots close to the surface, and the Bald Cypress produce the knees that come to the surface of standing water allow them to breathe when the roots are submerged. In areas where the roots do become submerged they do not normally produce knees. I noticed that the trees I saw along the side of the settling pond only had knees on the side that got underwater at times, and on the side that stays out of the water there were no knees.
 
Thanks. This is a fascinating review of that type tree. An elderly neighbor gave me a cypress knee. It was a relic of their travels and mounted to a base. I had thought they only grew in swamps.
 
mozer71":j3zg3jha said:
........I had thought they only grew in swamps.
I thought they only grew in swampy area and farther south, but I have learned otherwise. They normally do not produce the knee unless they are in an area that gets covered in water on a regular basis, then the knee gets just high enough to stick out of the water .
 
Our fam, being bordered by swamp, has plenty of cypress, and because most are covered by water all the time, we have plenty of knees as well. he wood is one of the highest selling gif you cut it, as cypress is a beautiful natural wood, and very water resistant. We cut some last year, but much of the cypress was too far in the swamp to cut. They are beautiful trees in the wild. Unfortunately some people cut the knees to make items for sale ("art"), which is not kosher (I stop short of saying illegal, but I do think they have some protection under the law). If you love swamp, the cypress is gorgeous....
 
I would never cut a knee or take a section out of a grand tree, unless I had to. I sorta owned some grand elms back in the "70's . You never really "own" trees as this. Their root structure is immense and surrounds the house. The vines from 1930-40's continue everywhere. The main trees got Dutch Elm Disease and were falling apart, taking gutters off etc. At some point, I had to cut them before they fell on parked cars or through my roof or electrical lines.
Cypress IS gorgeous.
 
good morning from the cool deep south . they are beautiful trees out in the swamp ( millions ) , covered with spanish moss , photos do not do justice to places like the atchafalaya basin . they are not a tree you want in your yard . they do grow knees without being covered in water , not very tall though , 5-6 inches tall , and wreak havoc with a mower . imagine rocks about the size of basketballs half buried , everywhere . i'm about to cut 5 down beside my sheet metal shop , the knees have popped up about 15-25 Feet in all directions . swamp yes , yard NO . coppersmythe....................ps: going to be tough , they are beautiful . EDIT: did a quick search of louisiana law , the cypress tree and knees are illegal to cut down on State property , without the proper permits . but that is true of all trees on state property .
 
That is a nice tree. Probably wouldn’t grow up here in NJ. Do they grow fast?
You mentioned Spanish moss :shock: :roll:
(Sorry slight detour on topic )
When I was a kid while visiting Florida I collected a bunch of that in a paper bag to bring home to hang in my room. Had it in the car under my seat. Bad idea. That turned into my first introduction to “red bugs” (called chiggers up north). I’d rather confront a bear than tangle with those little demons. Spanish moss does look beautiful in a tree and as far as I’m concerned that’s where it belongs. ;)
I wouldn’t mind planting some of those cypress trees down by my river bank. They are pretty and I don’t mow down there.
 
Back
Top