Trucut Armature Lathe Help

farmallcub49

501 Club
I picked up one of these that was gov surplus. After I wiped the cosmoline off of it, I have a brand new unit. My trouble is I have no motor, or pulley, or belt dimensions. If someone has one or knows where I can find info on a parts/operators manual I would appreciate it. Or is there a metal lathe forum, that anyone uses; that you could point me to that I may ask.
This is used to turn armatures and undercut the mica on generators.

It looks like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0438563964&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT
 
I believe I have the same one at home. I'll take alook Fri. or Sat and take some pics. If I remember they look like a sewing machine motor and belt
 
The one belt that drives the undercutter is a round belt much like the ones used on a foot treadle machine. The other is just a flat belt. If you have the same one could you tell me the dimensions of the pulley and the belts. I assume the motor is a 1/4 horse.

Thanks
 
Andy:

Googled TruCut Armature Lathe and got some hits.

Frank N Wood Corporation

TruCut Armature Lathe

This one I found on :eBay: and tghe listing although closed is still available. You may be able to email the seller to get in contact with the buyer. Looks like a manual in the background..

!BjOqRMQ!2k~$(KGrHqIH-CYEs9FJbufTBLSp1gN3)!~~_12.JPG


TRUCUT B-10 Armature Lathe with Undercutter & Motor

!BjOqqkgBGk~$(KGrHqYH-DgEt!Hzo(JtBLSp3H3QR!~~_12.JPG


!BjOq+LgBGk~$(KGrHqEH-CUEsLJy88zuBLSp4empSQ~~_12.JPG


!BjOrMOQBWk~$(KGrHqMH-CMEs82!,!pqBLSp5(JUgQ~~_12.JPG


!BjOqZZg!mk~$(KGrHqQH-CgEs7cWYKPUBLSp2Ce6JQ~~_12.JPG


There are a number of other results in the google search results. Hope this helps
 
Rudi,

Thank you for remembering to keep my searches simple. I never thought to google Frank n wood company. I missed out on the one in International Fall, MN; I was asleep at the switch, literally!
Thank you again for all that you do and have done for me.
Andy
 
Andy:

Did you contact the vendor about getting hold of the guy who bought it? The new owner might be willing to share that information with you or even photocopy whatever documentation he has... :idea:
 
farmallcub49":9gttro17 said:
Just bumping this to the top, I still need info on the pulley dimensions if anyone can help.
Print out the picture of the lathe pulleys. Measure the pully diameters. The motor pulley and the bottom of the "U" in the driven pulley. This will give you the approximate percentage, drive to driven.

Use this percentage to obtain pulleys. I'll print out the photo and provide you with a pretty close answer.

Edit: I get a .08% smaller diameter driven pulley. But that's based on measurement of the angled photo.

I think the lathe would operate just as well at 1725 rpms as at a bit higher speed = 1" drive to 1" driven pulley ratio. To speed up the lathe a bit you could use a 1" drive pulley and a 15/16" driven pulley.

Nother edit: You need to figure out what size driven pulley you can use. 1", 1 1/4", etc.. Once you have that diameter you can figure the drive (motor) pulley size.
 
Andy I checked my lathe ad it has a motor similar to the one pictured. Just a lil newer vintage, stil 1/4 hp 1725 rpm. I would just find one with those specs and the same mounting pattern and you should be set. The motor pulley is 1" dia by about 1 1/2" between the collars on each end. you would just need to come up with something same od but fits your shaft. You could always tack washers on each end to keep the belt from wandering too far.
The round belt is roughly 1/4" by 16" total length any thing close to that should work.
 
Rondell,

Thank you that is what I needed. I picked up a motor from someone who as an endless supply laying about and the price was right. I just needed a pulley dimensions. Thank you for your help.

Andy
 
I just bought a surplus Trucut B-10 with full complement of manuals. I also just bought an operational complete unit and I use it every day. I would be happy to advise anyone on details and can copy documentation.
John Kessler
Ft. Lauderdale
jrkess98@aol.com
 
Remember now only the generator gets under cut between the bars on the armature. The starters do not get under cut.

Years ago I was taught by the older guru mechanics to cut a thin hack saw file and under cut the armature with it very carefully. I've done it many times when rebuilding generators after the armature was cleaned.
 
There is a brand new Trucut undercut lathe for sale right now on the government surplus web auction at Govliquidation.com. Hurry if you want it. KES
 
Back
Top