TIL (Things I Learned)

Dennis

Administrator
Staff member
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_misconceptions#Transportation

Automotive batteries stored on a concrete floor do not discharge any faster than they would on other surfaces,in spite of worry among Americans that concrete harms batteries. Early batteries might have been susceptible to moisture from floors due to leaky, porous cases, but for many years lead–acid car batteries have had impermeable polypropylene cases,and are maintenance-free, so they do not leak battery acid.

I must have missed this one when my mother was telling me not go swimming after eating...
 
I never quite believed that a battery discharged quicker on concrete, even back when they had hard rubber cases. I try to put batteries on a piece of wood, not to protect the battery but to protect the concrete from acid that may be on the outside of the battery.
 
I still put my extra batteries on a board if I put them on the floor, but not because I am worried about discharge. I think it is more out of habit.

By the way, that thing about not swimming after eating is another wives tale from what I have read.
.
 
Back
Top