Ticks

Is anyone else noticing ticks being more of a problem than usual this summer? I have been lucky for many years that ticks and chiggers do not seem to like me. I seldom have more than 1 or 2 of either per summer, but his summer I have had 6 ticks, one of which caused an infection that necessitated a trip to the ER (weekend). I would hate to think that after all these years ticks have decided I taste good.
 
I had two on me this year. About 5 years ago I got rocky Mountain spotted fever from one. Put me in ICU for a week and took a year to get back to normal. I had never been that sick in my life. It felt like somebody hit me with a ball bat in all my joints. Along with sweating and chills. I had red spots about the size of a quarter all over my body. They looked like blood vessels had busted under the skin. So when I fine one embedded in me I go on antibiotics.
 
My wife has Lyme Disease. Had it for several years. Ticks really annoy her. We got chickens a few years back. Haven't seen nearly as many ticks last couple years. I think I've seen one this year. We also have a coon hound. I wonder if her baying and scent keeps the deer out of our yard too.
 
Fewer ticks this year. Less of a lot of insects. Never found a tomato worm either but then again the tomatoes didn't do as well. Vern
 
Between the cold winter and a drought in my corner of the world there are far less biting vermin than usual this year. Lyme disease, EEE, west nile, etc should be down, hopefully.

I highly recommend 'Sawyer® Duranon Permethrin Insect Repellent' . It is hard to find (Cabellas is best). It is sprayed on clothing, boots, tents or anything but yourself. Lasts through the wash!! Not only does it repel, but KILLS the little disease carriers. I like this; 'In tests, ticks that crossed only 10 inches of treated fabric fell from the uniform later dying do to this limited exposure.'
 
Back
Top