The stories from WW 2 vets

Bezirk

501 Club
I was having breakfast at a local Resturant this morning and at the next table were three Marine Ww2 vets who had served in the Pacific. I listened to their fond memories of making " joy juice" etc for quite a while. As I was leaving I stopped at their table and thanked all of them for their service and shook hands with all of them. Then I picked up all three checks. Of corse they protested but I wasn't hearing any of that and I paid any way. I told them That I served in the Naval Air Force and they were happy to meet a fellow vet. I hope to meet them there again ,asI find their experiences very interesting. It made my day to honor those guys in my own small way.

Berlin
 
Well done Berlin. Guys like them gave up their lives so that our world could be a better place to live in. My uncle Anthony fought in the US forces during WW1
Wonderful & kind gesture,
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.
 
Bezirk":sc0p82tu said:
I told them That I served in the Naval Air Force and they were happy to meet a fellow vet. I hope to meet them there again ,asI find their experiences very interesting. It made my day to honor those guys in my own small way.

Berlin

Great story. Since I was a young boy I have always looked up to the WWII generation as a source of inspiration and guidance.

Can I ask what the Naval Air Force is? I've heard of the US Army Air Force of WWII, but I've never heard of Naval Air Force? Were you a naval aviator?
 
The naval Air Force is that group that flies from carriers and many Naval air stations. I was a aviation ordnanceman , the folks that load,fuze ,arm and dearm aircraft weapons. We also did trouble shooting and repair of the aircraft weapons systems. We were called " BB stackers" short for breech block loaders. The Blue Angels are also a part of Naval aviation or the Naval Air Force.

Berlin
 
I was a reject, so no stories from me, but Dad was in WW2, part of the 3rd armored. he didn't like to talk about it much, but when he did, it was something I liked to listen too. In addition to other things he went through, he was in the Battle of the Bulge.
 
Have heard a few WWII stories most interesting to me was in 1992 I met a guy while doing a fuel oil delivery to his house he had a German name and accent and looked young for a WWII experience but he told me of the time he was a infantry soldier in great detail during WWII at the end of his story I said amazing you look too young to be a WWII vet he chucked and gave even more detail he told me that he was a German youth and drafted at 14 years old and sent to the Eastern front where he as a machine gunner "mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" he said the Russians just walk right in to them that was 1945 and then he was captured and sent to Siberian where the Russian kept him until 1954 :shock: , amazing drafted at 14 and did a bout a year on the Eastern front and then 8 years as a POW , came to the US and was a machinist at a local fastener company and retired.
 
Bezirk":rzy6606i said:
The naval Air Force is that group that flies from carriers and many Naval air stations. I was a aviation ordnanceman , the folks that load,fuze ,arm and dearm aircraft weapons. We also did trouble shooting and repair of the aircraft weapons systems. We were called " BB stackers" short for breech block loaders. The Blue Angels are also a part of Naval aviation or the Naval Air Force.

Berlin

Thanks Berlin. I was in the Air Force myself…'88 to '92 to include a tour in the sandbox during Desert Storm. Both of my grandparents on my father's side are WWII vets. My gramp was a truck driver on the famous Burma and ledo Roads in the China-Burma-India theater. My gram was in the WAVES. I grew up listening to their stories. My dad is a Vietnam vet. I've always said that I really had no choice but to carry on the tradition and serve.

Here's a pic of the 4 of us taken about 4 years ago. My gramp has since passed away.

Blair

 
Jackman":ano0viob said:
Have heard a few WWII stories most interesting to me was in 1992 I met a guy while doing a fuel oil delivery to his house he had a German name and accent and looked young for a WWII experience but he told me of the time he was a infantry soldier in great detail during WWII at the end of his story I said amazing you look too young to be a WWII vet he chucked and gave even more detail he told me that he was a German youth and drafted at 14 years old and sent to the Eastern front where he as a machine gunner "mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" he said the Russians just walk right in to them that was 1945 and then he was captured and sent to Siberian where the Russian kept him until 1954 :shock: , amazing drafted at 14 and did a bout a year on the Eastern front and then 8 years as a POW , came to the US and was a machinist at a local fastener company and retired.
…..I would have liked my father to have met him…He lived in Germany for awhile…I forgot the name of the POW camp….He was also at Normandy and a few other lovely places….At the time the Russians , your story telling acquaintance was speaking of, were part of an group protecting the world from the likes of this babbling fool…Perhaps instead of sending him to Siberia they should have sent him to clean up the death camps he took part in creating…And one more thing, any person who has ever taken a life or lives in wartime is haunted by the memory and don't brag about it …Comparing that swine with our WW2 veterans is a slap in the face….Past Sgt David Shattuck. Viet Nam Vet, INFANTRY……...
 
Jackman":1xi6vxif said:
amazing drafted at 14 and did a bout a year on the Eastern front and then 8 years as a POW , came to the US and was a machinist at a local fastener company and retired.

"Drafted" was probably putting it mildly by that point in the war.

I never knew until I got older that I had grown up around so many former servicemen that literally lived history. It was very seldom they ever talked about it.

Al
 
pickerandsinger":25evgd4q said:
Jackman":25evgd4q said:
Have heard a few WWII stories most interesting to me was in 1992 I met a guy while doing a fuel oil delivery to his house he had a German name and accent and looked young for a WWII experience but he told me of the time he was a infantry soldier in great detail during WWII at the end of his story I said amazing you look too young to be a WWII vet he chucked and gave even more detail he told me that he was a German youth and drafted at 14 years old and sent to the Eastern front where he as a machine gunner "mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" he said the Russians just walk right in to them that was 1945 and then he was captured and sent to Siberian where the Russian kept him until 1954 :shock: , amazing drafted at 14 and did a bout a year on the Eastern front and then 8 years as a POW , came to the US and was a machinist at a local fastener company and retired.
…..I would have liked my father to have met him…He lived in Germany for awhile…I forgot the name of the POW camp….He was also at Normandy and a few other lovely places….At the time the Russians , your story telling acquaintance was speaking of, were part of an group protecting the world from the likes of this babbling fool…Perhaps instead of sending him to Siberia they should have sent him to clean up the death camps he took part in creating…And one more thing, any person who has ever taken a life or lives in wartime is haunted by the memory and don't brag about it …Comparing that swine with our WW2 veterans is a slap in the face….Past Sgt David Shattuck. Viet Nam Vet, INFANTRY……...

Guess you have to meet the guy to know what kinda fella he was, I will tell you a few facts, he was not" bragging" ,he is not a "swine" and at 14 years old he was forced to go and do what he did there were no options, life sucks sometimes and there is your proof.
 
Jackman":23wvxb4z said:
"mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" he said the Russians just walk right in to them that was 1945 a
…..All the proof needed…By the way, what is your experience…..WW2, Korea, Nam….???? Just curious…...
 
pickerandsinger":5xf1a4u7 said:
Jackman":5xf1a4u7 said:
Have heard a few WWII stories most interesting to me was in 1992 I met a guy while doing a fuel oil delivery to his house he had a German name and accent and looked young for a WWII experience but he told me of the time he was a infantry soldier in great detail during WWII at the end of his story I said amazing you look too young to be a WWII vet he chucked and gave even more detail he told me that he was a German youth and drafted at 14 years old and sent to the Eastern front where he as a machine gunner "mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" he said the Russians just walk right in to them that was 1945 and then he was captured and sent to Siberian where the Russian kept him until 1954 :shock: , amazing drafted at 14 and did a bout a year on the Eastern front and then 8 years as a POW , came to the US and was a machinist at a local fastener company and retired.
…..I would have liked my father to have met him…He lived in Germany for awhile…I forgot the name of the POW camp….He was also at Normandy and a few other lovely places….At the time the Russians , your story telling acquaintance was speaking of, were part of an group protecting the world from the likes of this babbling fool…Perhaps instead of sending him to Siberia they should have sent him to clean up the death camps he took part in creating…And one more thing, any person who has ever taken a life or lives in wartime is haunted by the memory and don't brag about it …Comparing that swine with our WW2 veterans is a slap in the face….Past Sgt David Shattuck. Viet Nam Vet, INFANTRY……...

A Men
 
pickerandsinger":a76zc06c said:
Jackman":a76zc06c said:
"mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" he said the Russians just walk right in to them that was 1945 a
…..All the proof needed…By the way, what is your experience…..WW2, Korea, Nam….???? Just curious…...

Why does Jackman need to be a combat vet in order for his comments to hold any weight? Not understanding that one? As if only combat vets are allowed to opine here.

As a student of WWII, I'd like to clarify a few things since we are having the conversation.

1) To claim that the Russians were "protecting the world" is a bit of a mis-statement. Recall that they also invaded Poland on Sept. 1st, 1939 (amongst other atrocities and invasions). Far from "protecting the world."

2) Saying that this 14 year old kid (now a babbling fool, swine) somehow took part in the creation of the Nazi death camps is like saying that all Vietnam vets took part in the My Lai massacre. A far fetched statement in both cases.

3) Pope Benedict's story mirrors that of Jackman's German vet. Pope Benedict was drafted in the Hitler Youth at age 14 (all german boys were required to serve at age 14) and then later served in a Luftwaffe anti-aircraft battery and then finally in the infantry as the war ended. This does not, I would argue, make Pope Benedict swine or complicit in the Holocaust.

And yes, I'm a combat vet pickerandsinger. As if that need matter.

Just my 2 cents.
 
Bigschuss":1eugkjvt said:
pickerandsinger":1eugkjvt said:
Jackman":1eugkjvt said:
"mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" he said the Russians just walk right in to them that was 1945 a
…..All the proof needed…By the way, what is your experience…..WW2, Korea, Nam….???? Just curious…...

Why does Jackman need to be a combat vet in order for his comments to hold any weight? Not understanding that one? As if only combat vets are allowed to opine here.

As a student of WWII, I'd like to clarify a few things since we are having the conversation.

1) To claim that the Russians were "protecting the world" is a bit of a mis-statement. Recall that they also invaded Poland on Sept. 1st, 1939 (amongst other atrocities and invasions). Far from "protecting the world."

2) Saying that this 14 year old kid (now a babbling fool, swine) somehow took part in the creation of the Nazi death camps is like saying that all Vietnam vets took part in the My Lai massacre. A far fetched statement in both cases.

3) Pope Benedict's story mirrors that of Jackman's German vet. Pope Benedict was drafted in the Hitler Youth at age 14 (all german boys were required to serve at age 14) and then later served in a Luftwaffe anti-aircraft battery and then finally in the infantry as the war ended. This does not, I would argue, make Pope Benedict swine or complicit in the Holocaust.

And yes, I'm a combat vet pickerandsinger. As if that need matter.

Just my 2 cents.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Agree 100!
Al
 
As I understand it, very few of the Germans were actually members of the ruling Nazi party. Many of the German citizens did not support the Nazis, but had no choice, they did not have the protected personal freedoms we have, nor the means to defend themselves.
 
pickerandsinger":3rr81eqg said:
Jackman":3rr81eqg said:
"mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" he said the Russians just walk right in to them that was 1945 a
…..All the proof needed…By the way, what is your experience…..WW2, Korea, Nam….???? Just curious…...

Jackman wrote:
"mowed down the Russian troops like sheep" perhaps that part was not explain enough :? , the person I met was simply telling of a terrible time in his life the details about being a German youth and drafted on the German side at 14 years of age did not come out until I said he looked too young to have been a WWII vet, I think he was surprised by my guessing his age , prior to my guess on his age the story was just about being a soldier in WWII the details came out after , he was not bragging a bit :!: , from that delivery I went straight to my Dads house which was literally right down the road and and told him about the person I just met , He found it interesting not a insult or slap in the face as he too was a WWII vet served as an Infantry officer in the Philippines 1941-1945 and at the same time he was in his Dad also served in Europe Italy,France Germany 1941-1945 as an Officer, his Dad was also and Officer in WWI serving in France the time in between the two wars was spent as a civilian , imagine that at 48 years of age my Grand father re entered the military again to serve ,






I did my time 9th Infantry and a nuke site in Germany do I rate now :?: btw while i training at Ft McClellan Alabama there was a cool artical in the Stars and Stripes newspaper about Rommel's Grandson , seems that after WWII the surviving members of his family came to the US and by 1980 Rommels Grandson was a member of the US Army , you could probably Google that :idea: any way back to tractors for me :worthy:
 
My negative response to this post, had to do with INCLUDING and COMPARING by doing so, German soldiers with our Allied soldiers during WW2….Any way you look at it, there were Allies and Enemy soldiers..A German soldier who took the lives of Allied troops is an enemy soldier,whether he was 14 or 40…(Whether you like Russians or not they were Allies)...….If the Germans had won the war with a bunch of 14 year olds, we wouldn't be making this post and discussing this….My reference to asking about Jackmans experience, has to do with just that….Its easy to read and quote and base your opinions on what someone tells you are the facts but they are not necessarily correct…If you want to use Mai Lai as an example ( although I think it is inappropriate IMHO )…You kinda had to be there to pass a complete judgement…I wasn't in Mai Lai,by the way, so I'll leave it alone...War is Hell…If you were an American Soldier in WW2 that " undeserving 14 year old who mowed allied soldiers down like sheep, would have put a bullet right between your eyes if he could have "….I wonder how your attitude would have been had you have seen that happen to someone else…Thus the question….No dis-respect intended….And it does matter if you've been there, BTW…I stand by my post…At this point I wish everyone a Happy 4th of July or the correct terminology " Independence Day"….And thank all the Veterans out there who protect our country against the evils of the world…In regards to Catholicism and WW2, both Hitler(sorry to say) and I are, were Catholics….And I never heard any mention of Pope Benedict saying " He mowed them down like sheep" either….
 
Back
Top