John *.?-!.* cub owner
501 Club
Right hip/leg was hurting, so I hopped on my scooter to go to the shed. Just as soon as it started moving, I realized it had a problem. Right Rear tire was flat. Was OK when I parked it yesterday. Plugged 12 volt compressor into car, but the tire was leaking as fast as it would pump air. Walked it (rather than riding) down to the shed and put it inside. Yard was in bad need of mowing, so I fired up the ZTR and went to work. I had been mowing about half an hour and had gone a few feet beyond where some limbs from a tree had been laying, when suddenly smoke started coming form under the mower and around the engine, and the engine loaded down and stopped. When I checked, the engine would not turn I could not turn it with either the starter or by hand. I checked the blades and they were free.
I decided to let it cool while I went back to the shed and fixed the scooter tire. It turned out to be a defective inner tube I had installed about 6 months ago. I keep a spare on hand, so that was an easy fix. Then back down to the mower which I left setting in the yard, and started checking it. Put a jack under the rear, and let the deck down all the way to discover the banded belt (2 V belts made together with a single back) that drives the pumps was partly off the pulleys and binding the engine pulley against the frame. Presumably a stick flew up and got under it flipping it off the pulleys, though I did not find any evidence of one. Back to the shed for a 9/16 ratchet wrench and large screw driver, then loosened the idler spring and pried the belt out from under the engine pulley, then put it back on the left pump. Finally tightened the idler spring back up, which took longer than the rest of the job. I had to loosen the spring by backing off a nut about 2 inches down a threaded eye bolt `1/3 turn at a time, and then retighten it the same way. sure was glad for that box end ratchet wrench. I will get to remove that belt agian fairly soon, because it was chewed up pretty bad.
Finally back to mowing, but for some unexplainable reason I did not get it all done.
I decided to let it cool while I went back to the shed and fixed the scooter tire. It turned out to be a defective inner tube I had installed about 6 months ago. I keep a spare on hand, so that was an easy fix. Then back down to the mower which I left setting in the yard, and started checking it. Put a jack under the rear, and let the deck down all the way to discover the banded belt (2 V belts made together with a single back) that drives the pumps was partly off the pulleys and binding the engine pulley against the frame. Presumably a stick flew up and got under it flipping it off the pulleys, though I did not find any evidence of one. Back to the shed for a 9/16 ratchet wrench and large screw driver, then loosened the idler spring and pried the belt out from under the engine pulley, then put it back on the left pump. Finally tightened the idler spring back up, which took longer than the rest of the job. I had to loosen the spring by backing off a nut about 2 inches down a threaded eye bolt `1/3 turn at a time, and then retighten it the same way. sure was glad for that box end ratchet wrench. I will get to remove that belt agian fairly soon, because it was chewed up pretty bad.
Finally back to mowing, but for some unexplainable reason I did not get it all done.