Smartphone question

indy61

501 Club
I have an opportunity to buy a new unlocked Samsung Galaxy S5 Active for $100.
Is this phone too outdated for basic use? I don't care about latest and greatest expensive phones but I want to be able to use it for a few years.
 
I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 for a couple of years that I really liked. My daughter just replaced her S4 that she had for close to 4 years with an S7.
The S5 seems to have good reviews.
 
The S5 came out in 2014. Make sure to check with your wireless carrier to ensure that it is compatible with their network. If you just want to use basic functions it should work fine. I'm not sure if the operating system software will work with all applications or if it is eligible to receive security updates. That may be important to you too and maybe your wireless carrier can answer to that as well.
 
It is compatible with my network and takes the same size sim card (micro) as my old phone. I hope to be able to install my old sim card and be good to go and not have a new service agreement.

I don't think the operating system is still supported and I don't know if that is really important.
 
It is only important from a security standpoint. I wouldn't submit any passwords, pay bills, install any apps that require passwords, visit any websites that require passwords, or do any banking on a device that wasn't receiving security updates. But if all you want to do is make/receive calls and take photos you'll probably be ok.
 
I replaced my Galaxy S5 after 4 years with a new Galaxy 7 last year and paid $107.00 for it at Walmart. This phone is so much more advanced and the newest model at the time was a 10.
 
It's all very confusing for me. I guess I should just stick with my old Sonim bar phone. It's been very dependable.
My carrier just wants me to spend big money on a new phone and sign a new service agreement.
 
I was in the same situation a few years ago trying to decide which model phone to purchase. A friend of mine suggested to look into purchasing a "tracfone" from their website. I did and what a bargain I discovered! I'm no longer locked into a 2 year contract paying exorbitant prices for a Cell Phone. I made a move from a flip phone to a smart phone. Tracfone offers several Smart Phones, some even or free if you use their service, but being partial to Samsung products I purchased a Samsung Galaxy J3 Luna Pro. It has a 5" screen and is capable of doing more than this old man is capable of learning, but the deal breaker was the service packages offered. Our prior service provider enticed my wife and I to purchase the latest phones at elevated prices, suggested we purchase service packages neither of us would use and , of coarse, all we had to do was sign another 2 year contract. It was so convenient ... for them ... not us. I visited the Tracfone website and studied the phones and the many different services offered. Today I spend $15.00 to $25.00 a month for my monthly service, including talk, text and data. My wife is a bit more active than I so she's on an unlimited talk, text and data plan for $25.00 a month. No, I don't have stock in the company nor any other interest other than saving a few dollars a month trying to get by on retirement income. Good Luck, Papa.
 
Back
Top