Small Chainsaws

Eugene

501 Club
Picked up two small chain saws for trimming trees. These are replacements.

1) Remington RM1035P 10 In. Electric Pole Saw. 120V, Extendable to 15 feet. Works well, no complaints. Only problem is that it's a heavy (leverage) when extended out to 15 feet. Nice thing is that it is easy to brake down into a hand held chainsaw.

2) Dewalt DCCS620B 20V MAX XR. 12" bar. Replacement for an ancient Stihl, parts no longer available. Light weight, easy to handle, pretty easy on batteries. Quite a bit slower than a gas powered chainsaw especially when bucking logs 6" in diameter or more. I really like this saw.

Wife and I are currently trimming up black walnut trees and branches overhanging the mowing areas along the fence line, pasture and the drive way.
 
I got one of the Dewalt saws about a month ago. I like it, too. So does my wife. Doesn't replace a real chainsaw for the bigger jobs, though.
 
I just started collecting older 80’s chainsaws I once logged with. I have Swedish Husqvarna’s of all sizes from 40 cc to 100cc. The 100cc 2100 is one I used for decades. I have 28” , 32”, 36”, & 42” bars forbthe 2100. I have a Poulan pro pole saw gas powered. It’s a discontinued husky model. I also collect the Swedish partner chainsaws too. I mainly collect Swedish saws but I have some mccullochs and one italian bender Castor chainsaw, in the past I cut some big trees some gave me seven cords of firewood? I once cleaned up storm damage near where Thomas Jefferson had his horse shoes. Monster 100 yo + maple tree in the 80’s after Gloria took it down.
 
I have the 20” bar /chain, 24” bar / chain, 28” bar / chain, 32” bar / chain 36” bar and chain and the 42” bar and chain. All the bars use .404” / .063” gage chain on the 100 cc 2100 husky power head. I’m a spaghetti bender but I love my Swedish chainsaws. They supported my family for many decades throughout the recessions. I need a saw mill attachment next I have a giant ash tree to take down soon for a new kitchen set.
 
I have a small Stihl chainsaw, but hardly ever use it. I have found that my Dewalt battery powered reciprocal saw is much lighter and easier to handle, and with the good quality pruning blades will cut almost as fast as a small chainsaw. In addition, the batteries last a long time.
 
My first Husqvarna 2100 ported 100 cc saw is about to leave the assembly bench to be started up for the first time. She’s a beast stock. With power to spare. With porting she shows no mercy to the trees.

Sharpening the saw chain is an art. Make sure you do the gullet for chip clearance first before you do the upper edge.
 
A big Thank You for all of the responses. After a little research and looking at several options I chose to purchase a Kobalt 40 Volt pole saw w/ a 30" extension and a 5 year limited warranty. I was looking at pole saws in Lowe's and commented to another customer that I liked the weight and feel of the saw ,but, was concerned about the downtime I'd sacrifice having to constantly recharge the battery. He said he purchased the same saw a couple of years back and advised me that at our age that would not become an issue, stating if I had the stamina to use the saw continuously to use up the battery that I would welcome the break. So far, I agree with his assessment as I've only used three of the four bars of the battery life indicator one time of several sessions of tree liming. Wish I'd have made this purchase long ago.
 
I have a very big Stihl MS310 saw and the smaller Stihl 170. The big saw is very heavy but powerful blowing through the big stuff but the 170 is my go to for everything else. Much lighter and doesn’t kill my back. I’ve had the 310 for 15 years now and it’s an impressive very durable saw.
I once had a scanner antenna on the roof of my house off the chimney. It had 3 horizontal rods which would get bent down by the damned squirrels that would jump to it from a nearby branch. I borrowed a polesaw from my neighbor to remove that branch. Standing on a step ladder leaning on the chimney (yes I know, not good) reaching up and out, I tried cutting that branch and got the saw stuck when the branch pinched the bar. :roll: I got it loose but not without a lot of cussing.
So trim careful with that polesaw and be aware of the pinch possibility. If it pinches way up out of your reach it’s a royal PITA!
 
Back
Top