Shingles Vaccine

Eugene

501 Club
Shingles vaccine is recommended for folks 60 and over, per the internet.

Doctor gave my wife a prescription for a shingles vaccine shot. Cost of the shot, $300- if taken at the doctor's office. Or perhaps $150- since Medicare will pay for the vaccine but not the doctor's office visit.

Wife and I have Medicare and TriCare health insurance as I am retired military. Internet search and a couple of phone calls, Wal-Mart pharmacy will provide the shot. Cost for my shot $0- since I have Tricare coverage and I have paid the initial out of pocket/copay. Not sure about the cost of the wife's shot, but may be $0- since she has had previous Medicare and Tricare claims.

I'm going to take the vaccine since my mother and daughter have had shingles.

Will let you know how things goes.
 
I have had the shingles shot. Cost to have it done at the VA was $8.00 which is my copay for prescriptions. You must be registered as a patient at the VA first. VA does not participate with Medicare Part D and doesn't carry some drugs I prefer so I don't normally use them for medicines however they provide a lot of other services without cost. Hearing aids, batteries and repair, glucose meter, test strips, lancets, needles and orthopedic shoes. The Battle Creek VAMC is great and I do appreciate what services I use. Vern
 
I am a Pharmacist and give Zostivax shots. Usually medicare part D will cover most of the cost of the injection. A prescription usually is not needed at a pharmacy.
Ted
 
I know that the TV commercials try to scare you so you get their shot, but I have known 4 people who have had shingles and they all were in a heck of a lot of discomfort/pain. I received the shot 3 years ago at the VA. I think they said it was about 80% effective but if you did get the shingles it would not be as bad as no shot.
 
I know that the TV commercials try to scare you so you get their shot, but I have known 4 people who have had shingles and they all were in a heck of a lot of discomfort/pain. I received the shot 3 years ago at the VA. I think they said it was about 80% effective but if you did get the shingles it would not be as bad as no shot.
 
v w":17zhnvfl said:
VA . . . they provide a lot of other services without cost. Hearing aids, batteries and repair, glucose meter, test strips, lancets, needles and orthopedic shoes.
Yeah, if you can get past all the road blocks to get in the system. Otherwise you can't get the time of day.
 
I had shingles but not severe enough to limit my activities nor to prevent sleep. No lingering pain, but the affected skin was not back to normal for about 6 months. Later got the vaccine. The pharmacy did require me to have a prescription to get the vaccine. As noted, simply getting the shot at the Dr's office may be the most expensive option.
Having one bout of shingles does not necessarily confer immunity to prevent additional outbreaks.
 
Read the fine print in TriCare For Life pharmacy policy for shingles. Fine print says the shot has to be given at a doctor's office. So, back to the doctor's office, showed the staff a portion of the pharmacy plan, and ordered the shot for my wife and I.

Have Medicare parts A and B, but not part D and have TriCare for Life and the VA. Only drug store in town is Walgreen. Walgreen does not accept Tricare or any form of military associated insurance. Closest pharmacy that accepts TriCare is Walmart which is a 30 plus mile round trip drive. Normally it's more convenient and less expensive to use the local pharmacy and pay out of pocket for any prescription medications.

My other option for a prescription medication is to schedule an appointment with the VA. It can be a considerable amount of time between the phone call to schedule the appointment and seeing the doctor. I use the VA for routine medical examinations, one every 6 months. I don't have any complaints with the VA except for the waiting time.
 
Eugene, Doesn't your VAMC have a walk in clinic? They probably could do it. Mine was done during my annual visit but the walk in I know will do flu shots so maybe they could do shingles too. Vern
 
v w":1pyql523 said:
Eugene, Doesn't your VAMC have a walk in clinic? They probably could do it. Mine was done during my annual visit but the walk in I know will do flu shots so maybe they could do shingles too. Vern
The VAMC is in Columbia, Missouri, probably 1 1/2 hour drive one way. The VA has an out patient clinic in Jefferson City, Mo. About 35 to 40 minute drive one way.

The Jefferson City clinic is the one I use for routine physicals. It is not walk in clinic, it's petty small, appointment required. I've seen only 4 or 5 people working there, mostly clerical and medical assistants.

Not sure how many doctors are stationed there, I've only seen one in my 15 years, 30 visits, to the facility. One visit I ask the doctor how many patients he had. His reply was normally 1200, but the facility was waiting for another doctor and he had to double his work load.

Last two visits to the clinic the doctor had a stethoscope with one of the tubes leading to an ear piece disconnected - wouldn't stay in place. I ask why didn't he just get a new one from the VA. Doc said that he had to provide some of his own equipment.
 
Even at my full service VA Hospital they have to go down to the pharmacy and bring the vaccine back to clinic and then give you the shot.
VA in Shreveport has a drive thru clinic for Flu shot but does not have the shot for the over 65, have to go to the clinic for that. Are we getting lazy or what.
 
Eugene, BUMMER I'm only about 20 minutes away. I sometimes wonder how the VA decides who is elgible and how to spend their money. The facility I use I think was built as a hospital for Fort Custer which was built as a training camp for WWI and used thru WWII. Now used by the reserve. The building has to be 75 years old but well maintained. One area was recently gutted and the clinic rebuilt and you would think you were in a new modern office. I have never tried to get an appointment for illness so I can't address that but the VA is not the only ones where wait happens. Twice while waiting for appointments with non VA specialists I have wound up in ER. One increased medication took care of it and the other I was addmitted for surgery. Last Friday doctor ordered blood work and x-ray and wanted to see me in a week. Minor problem. His first opening was 11 days so I'm using naproxin for a few more days. Nothing serious howevver. :D Vern
 
Recently received the Tricare statements for the shingles vaccine shots for wife and I. We owe just under $400- for the shots and office visit. It's not all bad, the $400- covers the family deductible for fiscal year 1 Oct 15 to 30 Sep 16.

Veterans Choice Program, I'm not eligible. Live with in the 40 mile radius of a VA medical facility.
 
I got my shingles shot at Walgreen $205.00 is what they charged me and had a Dr. perscription, but guess what I broke out with shingles two weekis later aND several times since so went to my Dr and he said it don't always work so I will be taking Zorvarix the rest of my life. :(
 
My dad (age 61) has been battling Stage IV Lung Cancer for two years and is slowly losing. A couple of months ago he had the misfortune of adding shingles to his list of ailments. Absolute misery...
 
Back
Top