Purchasing a Vehicle a Little Different

Jack fowler

501 Club
Sorry….I thought I deleted this post from here and put it in “Other Tractors and Machinery”. I guess too much Christmas cheer yesterday and not enough coffee this morning.

...After my car was damaged and the insurance company said the damage was beyond what the car was worth, I’m looking at the cheapest way to replace it. That’s including buying the car back from the insurance company and repairing it myself.

This is something I ran across the other day that I thought was interesting if someone wanted to take the chance when purchasing a vehicle a little different than the normal way. When I buy things I have to make the dollar stretch, especially with cars and trucks. (Tractors a different story).

Notice in the article the person writes about “The seller sent me some before photos, and I found crisp HD insurance claim photos on the web just by googling the VIN number. ( a trick anyone should try.)” I thought that was very interesting.

Note, something personally I like to pass along; most new(er) vehicle totals are rentals and in my opinion a rental has more air miles than a 737.

This is the link if anyone is interested…its forwarded to another tractor site and (moderators) if that’s not permissible please delete my post.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=488770
 
Bought back a Pontiac station wagon from insurance company for $150-. Got hit in right rear door. Big dent, door jamed shut, duck tape to cover gap between door and vehicle top. Daughter drove the Pontiac for several years until she hit a deer and finished off (completely totaled) the vehicle. Funny thing was that a couple months after the deer accident, I received a letter from DMV asking why I didn't file an insurance claim for the accident and why I listed the vehicles value at $150- on the police report.

Currently submitting a bid on a 1996(7) Chevy Silverado, 126K miles. Sitting in police impound parking lot. Bid is about 1/3'rd the suggest private sale value, due to unknowns, and some obvious needed repairs.

Need to replace 2 of the 3 currently owned pickups. One with 209K and rust holes in floor boards, patched many times. Other vehicle with 250K miles, significant smoke on engine start up, been in 3 accidents which nearly totaled out vehicle on each accident. If I win the bid, planning on selling (scrapping) the 2 pickups. Can probably get close to my bid from scrap dealer.
 
Some vehicles, notably the import brands, have the VIN on all the major parts of the vehicle in easily visible places. Doors, hood, truck lid, etc. Replacing or repainting those is evident since the VIN does not match or probably will not be visible after repainting.
I bought one with salvage title that had been stolen and recovered 8 months later. Carfax showed no accidents. Flew to the pickup city and drove it home. Trunk lid had been replaced and that is all. The salvage title meant that the few bids offered were low and the price was one that I could not refuse. Pleased beyond description.
 
Eugene":2v3kxoqi said:
........

Need to replace 2 of the 3 currently owned pickups. One with 209K and rust holes in floor boards, patched many times. ........
I owned a 70 Chevy 3/4 ton that one day I had to go back and pick up the gas pedal off the highway after it fell out. :lol:
 
Eugene wrote: Currently submitting a bid on a 1996(7) Chevy Silverado, 126K miles.
In my opinion those are good trucks… low miles too… I bought a Dodge off a dealer wholesale lot years back with a known problem at a very reasonable price…after I finally figured the problem out, it’s been a good truck.

Bus Driver wrote: The salvage title meant that the few bids offered were low and the price was one that I could not refuse. Pleased beyond description.
If I can get a car like Bus Driver did with less money than the insurance company gave me I think I’d go for it.
I like to fix my car, but the “B” piller is bent and creased the roof line along with the panels of the entire right side. I can probably repair it, but I just don’t know if I’m up to it.

My son sent me a picture of a government car he’s been driving that’s going to be auctioned off soon. It’s a Ford with 82 thousand miles. He said he really liked the way the car drove on the highway and it’s very tight. I looked up the value of it and ruff is $800 and clean is $1400. If I can buy this car for $1000 I would be pleased beyond description…..then I can take my Chevy to the levy…maybe….

Government car:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/Metering Valve/Car_zpsf28d11b0.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/Metering Valve/Car1_zpsf9eed115.jpg

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: I had to go back and pick up the gas pedal off the highway after it fell out. :lol:
I guess you would call that “pedal to the concrete” :wink:
 
Eugene, I own a 95 GMC Z71 which I think is about the same pickup as the Chevy you are bidding on. I've owned it several years and it has a few bruises and scuffs but I love that truck. They are tough trucks and it has given me great service.
Roy
 
Government vehicles. When I was in the military, vehicles were traded out based on age and not mileage. The sedans were usually in excellent condition when replaced. The pickups, trucks, and tactical vehicles were usually serviceable but pretty well banged up when replaced.

I'm also bidding on several other vehicles in the police sale. I submitted a bid on a 2003 Ford Expedition, son is interested in it and a Honda ATV.

I bid $10- each on 4 different Crown Victoria's. Don't think my bid will be accepted even if it's the highest.
 
Bus Driver":3ovsv34x said:
Scrappers probably would pay $250 for a complete Crown Vic.
That was my thought. Call up the local scrappers and have them come get the vehicles. For a small fee.

Few years ago son's raggedy old Impala sedan blew a head gasket. Called the scrap yards. They would pay around $300- or so for the vehicle, providing all the fluids were drained, certain size hole cut in gas tank, tires off, and delivered. Scrapper picked up the Impala at son's house and paid $150-.
 
Eugene stated: The sedans were usually in excellent condition when replaced.
Thanks…that makes me feel better, if I buy one of those cars.

I’m not really all that familiar how the Government sells their cars. What I can see in the web site; they have surplus and GSA auctions. I did get time to e-mail the maintenance manager where the Ford is now and he said it is a GSA car and will be auctioned off either on line or a live auction…but didn’t know when.

My insurance company is really low-balling me on what my car is worth. They say the car is worth 6k less than what I paid for it three years ago. I even got a discount when I bought it because I was associated with GM.

I know a man who owns a small body shop; looked at the car and he said he could put it back without paint for what the car is worth wholesale. I’ll have to paint the car. If the car isn’t right when done, I can get my money out of it… retail value.

Still I would like to get the Ford for 1000, if I can figure out how and when it’s going to be sold.
 
Auctions are more than most people feel comfortable with.

I have had 2 trucks and the car I am driving from GSA auctions. The federal govt. is required to sell at auction. They are getting pretty smart about cars and light trucks, all clean and sold by a certain age. They are surely not given away, although vans seem to be a deal. The F-250 used a lot of oil and I put a crate Motocraft motor in it. They don't come with any fancy options and you have NO idea of how it was used. CarFax was not helpful with federal vehicles (never really titled).

My truck was an eBay purchase and has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. It has 260K on the IH Powerstroke 7.3L.

Regardless of where you buy, it is always buyer beware.
 
Buzzard Wing wrote: Regardless of where you buy, it is always buyer beware.
I agree used and new

I own a 2012 Chevy Diesel truck (bought new) that hasn’t been a joy to own. Lucky I still know people at GM that are helping...under warranty. So even when buying new…sometimes problems.

Was the F 250 a GSA truck?

Along with my son…I know some Government people and they say those vehicles are taken care of, but only drive them and have nothing to do with maintenance.
 
Yep Jack. As was the C2500 (3/4 ton with a 6 cyl!) and the little Chevy car I have been driving the last few years. Just replaced the original (2004) battery on it. It had 29K when I bought it, with a credit card no less. It has been a great car for me.

At least up this way, the auctions are mostly in the warmer weather.
http://autoauctions.gsa.gov/autoauctions/

And if you are really adventurous there is some cool surplus stuff here:
http://www.govliquidation.com/

Need a bigger truck??
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/v ... vertTo=USD
 
Buzzard Wing wrote: And if you are really adventurous there is some cool surplus stuff here:
Wow… Yes indeed…2007 NASCAR …. 1922 Ford Model T 1 Door Roadster Pickup start out bid $25… Oh the Ford would look perfect beside my Cub.
 
Eugene wrote: Currently submitting a bid on a 1996(7) Chevy Silverado, 126K miles.
Didn't submit the high bid on the pickup. Talked to the guy who won the high bid on 4 of the vehicles including the pickup. Apparently some place along the line the sheriff's dept did not do or obtain the correct paperwork for the title.

Better off by not submitting the high bid.
 
Eugene wrote: Currently submitting a bid on a 1996(7) Chevy Silverado, 126K miles.
You would think the truck is worth getting a title….or maybe the new owner thinks its worth more in parts.
I can’t get a handle on the Ford I’m trying to buy….I guess I’ll be fixing my Chevy
 
Back
Top