Pressure Washer

Jim Becker

Moderator
Staff member
I am considering buying a pressure washer. I was looking at a Northern Tools Northstar with a Honda engine. It seems to be adequate for most use.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... _200788683

Likewise, I took a look at Runnings and found one made by Mi-T-M., for more than $100 less. It used the exact same Honda engine but is rated a bit less in pressure and volume. It is 3,000 psi and 2.3 gpm vs. 3,100 and 2.5. I doubt that I would notice the slight difference in ratings. In fact I wonder if there is more difference in quoted ratings than there is in actual capacity. With the same engine, how much different can they be? Runnings description has a whole lot less detail than Northern's.

Anyone have any comments on these or any other washer?
 
Have you considered an electric pressure washer? I've got both a Craftsman and a Karcher gasoline powered pressure washer but find myself using my Karcher electric pressure washer more due to convenience. I find it easier to just plug it in, hook up the hose and go instead of gasing it up, checking the oil, setting the choke and pulling the rope. It's also one less engine to maintain and keep running. An electric pressure washer might be worth considering if you have electrical power close by.
 
I was thinking about the one more engine to maintain problem. I haven't given the electric ones much thought as a quick look suggested they cost a lot more. I should look closer.
 
My electric washer isn't as powerful as my gas units but rarely do I need all the power of the gas units. It really depends on your needs. I picked up my electric washer at a garage sale. A quick inexpensive repair and I was good to go.
 
I have both and haven't used the gas washer since I bought the electric. I haven't found the electric to be inadequate in any way. I got mine at Sam's and have been using it for years.
 
I have a 2500 psi, gas engine, pressure washer. My experience is that it will peel paint from an automobile and dig in/cut wood siding.

No recommendation on which pressure sprayer to purchase.
 
How's this for timing? I took my wife out for dinner tonight at a small local family restaurant about 7 miles from our house. As we left the restaurant we passed a house with a Ryobi electric pressure washer set along side the road. I turned around and went back to take a look at it. A lot of times folks will set stuff the want to get rid of out to the road and usually someone will take it. Sure enough someone had written "Free" on it so I put it in the back of our Equinox and headed home. Maybe it's junk but maybe it just needs a simple fix. When I get a chance, I'll check it out and see if it's a keeper or if it just needs to go in the trash can...


Free Pressure Washer 1.jpg
 
My brother bought a Mi-T-M gas powered washer about two years ago and frequently uses it to clean reclaimed barn boards. He is happy with it so far.
 
I have used gas for several years because when I bought it electric units weren't as powerful. Since it is never used very far from a building electric would be my choice now because of the maintenance of a gas engine. I also have a generator mounted on a trailer behind the lawn mower so I can take electric tools anywhere. Works well with a chain saw. Vern
 
A few years ago, I bought a new Karcher gas unit from a local farm store. It has a Honda clone engine, 197cc if I remember correctly. One of the things I really like about it is the fully adjustable nozzle, no changing nozzles. It runs in my mind that it’s 2700 psi. I don’t remember what I paid for it but I’m sure it was under $400. I’ll take a closer look at it to see how much misinformation I just posted.
 
Thanks for the feedback. Your collective experience and wisdom has shifted me to an electric unit. I hadn't looked at Sam's and I had not seen electric washers like you have pointed out. Of course the Sam's choices I have now looked at are imported and subject to availability issues. It will be at least six weeks before it is warm enough here to use one. So I have time to pick out something. There seem to be several choices in the less than $250 range that should be adequate. Right now, Sam's has a "Yard Force" for $220 that looks promising.
https://www.samsclub.com/p/yard-force-2 ... product_11
 
I've got a gas one with a Honda engine that came from Sams several years ago, it works good. I went to Sams last July and they had these on clearance for $199, I didn't need it but bought it anyway. I haven't opened the box yet.

Screenshot 2021-10-26 at 11-37-42 Greensboro Sam's Club - Sam's Club.jpg


My boss has an electric one he got from Harbor Freight, it does okay for what it is.
 
a buddy gave me a gas one that don't work anymore....engine runs good...pump don't work....had it apart...got stuff moving from you tube video...still no good...engine runs great....going to buy a new pump...$100 bucks...I like this...used it a few times....lots of power and does a great job....no it didn't freeze...decks and siding..
 
Electric pressure washers have really come a long way. I had one a few years back, and it didn’t amount to much. Remembering that, I sought a gas unit. I could now be easily converted. Of course, I’ll probably never need another.
 
good morning jim from the dry deep south. A little bit of a rare drought . For what its worth , the electric ( from Costco ) pressure washer we bought has worked great . Long gfi protected 110v cord , long hose , couple different spray tips . quiet ! coppersmythe............................PS: slowly changing over to battery power where i can ( milwaukee 18v ) . Only gas power left is a farmboss sthil chainsaw bought long ago .
 
I did get the Yard Force electric washer from Sam's. They list it as model YF2200LC. The price with tax and shipping was under $245. One thing seemed out of whack on the order was shipping quoted at only $5.67. After I got the FedEx tracking number and could look at the shipment, I could see what evidently happened. FedEx had the weight as 5 pounds. They were off by about 50 pounds. My guess is Sam's computer has the wrong weight and FedEx just accepts whatever Sam's tells them. The expected delivery date seemed to change every time I checked status. Initially it was a week, then 2 days, etc. It actually took 4 days from when I entered the order.

Last week it was finally warm enough to try it out. The hose reel is a little on the clunky side but it works. It is water cooled, using the wash water to cool the motor. Consequently, it is limited to cold water. It would be nice if you could put warm water through it. I have not tried the soap injector yet. I just started by hitting the things I was cleaning with a pump bottle of Simple Green. It works pretty well and I'm happy with the way it runs.
 
A little late to this one but just in case someone comes along and reads it, I bought a Sunjoe SPX1500 in 2019 and have used the bejeebers out of it since without a single burp. 1740psi rated at 12amps, more than enough pressure. I've done all the vinyl siding, all the retaining walls, all the steps and stairs, the entire porch assembly prior to rebuilding it this summer, my son's Trex deck, even my split rail fence and posts, and much more. This thing is the cat's meow and less than $125. I got mine at Lowes but Amazon also carries it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sun-Joe-SPX1500-Pressure-Electric/dp/B01IJ2SCF0

71oZXCXV09L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
 
Back
Top