John *.?-!.* cub owner
501 Club
It is funny how some memories come to mind you had not thought of in years. When I was in my mid teens, some 50 years ago there had been a film on the news of a National Guard training jet crashing on take off at Lambert Airport. Movies were pretty rare at the time, and someone taking a home movie had been visiting and filmed the takeoff, low altitude stall out, and ejection, followed by the crash of the aircraft, and the whole thing was on the news the next day. The ejection seats fired almost horizontally due to the nose high angle of the aircraft, but the 2 crewmen survived with only minor injuries, which was miraculous due to the low altitude it happened at and the angle of ejection. The day after I was plowing corn (local term for plowing out weeds, or cultivating) in our bottom field below the railroad tracks. It was early summer, and the corn was pretty small, so I was running about 1/3 throttle in first or second gear on the H, which is pretty slow and boring, so my mind was drifting. Being a typical teenage farm boy, my mind was on airplanes, and jets, and the crash i had seen on the news,
After about 2 hours I suddenly heard this ground shaking roar from behind me and when I looked over my right shoulder I saw this huge blindingly bright light about 20 or so feet above, coming straight at me. My mind immediately went back to that crash, and I was halfway off the left side of the tractor, planning a right angle escape route before I realized it was the oar train from Pea Ridge iron mine coming around a bend on the raised track bed. :tears: At that point in time the train is running up hill, pulling 80 to 100 loaded iron ore cars, with 6 engines running full throttle and normally doing 15 to 20 miles an hour. The roar is deafening from 30 or 40 yards away, and actually shakes the ground.
After about 2 hours I suddenly heard this ground shaking roar from behind me and when I looked over my right shoulder I saw this huge blindingly bright light about 20 or so feet above, coming straight at me. My mind immediately went back to that crash, and I was halfway off the left side of the tractor, planning a right angle escape route before I realized it was the oar train from Pea Ridge iron mine coming around a bend on the raised track bed. :tears: At that point in time the train is running up hill, pulling 80 to 100 loaded iron ore cars, with 6 engines running full throttle and normally doing 15 to 20 miles an hour. The roar is deafening from 30 or 40 yards away, and actually shakes the ground.