Please talk me out of it!!

Hengy

501 Club
Oh man... I've been bitten by the bug badly. There is a sad, sorry Farmall H on my local Craigslist, and the price is right for it. Owner said originally that the tractor hadn't been run in 4 years, but he cleaned up the carb and it started right off. Said that the left rear tire won't hold air, but will hold long enough for transport.

I don't need an H, but MAN do I WANT an H. Needs wiring replaced from what I can tell in the pics. The current owner said that everything on the tractor functions as it says it should.

What should I look for as "weak spots" on an H tractor? The price "seems" right for it, especially if I get the offer that I made (sight unseen thus far). Of course, I will look it over and ask to hear it run before plunking down any money on it. Just wanting to know what to look for (like the Cubs ears that break) in weak spots.

Thanks all...Heaven help me!

Mike
 
Mike, That's too big of a tractor for you. You don't have room in the garage. Your wife won't park her car outside so the tractor can be inside. Those rear tires are really expensive. It takes 40 cans of spray paint to paint one. Parts are hard to find and expensive. Ah, go ahead and buy it. :D

Bob
 
Buy it Mike, think of it as preserving a historical machine ( might work as a point of conversation for persuading wife ) can' t guarantee though !

Berlin
 
$1000- to $1500- will purchase an H in field ready work condition.

Research the tractor, see it has the features you want or need.

Price the rear tire and tube. Expensive.

What to heck are you going to do with it? Park in the drive way.

Scrap metal is going for around $200- a ton, so the H is worth about $400- at the scrap yard.

Don't do it.
 
:lol: You're just like a junkie asking a bunch of pushers for advice! :lol:

Seriously, here's a site that helped me: http://pages.suddenlink.net/twcook/farmall-h/buying.htm

If it has any oil leaks under the belly, there are a couple tranny seals and a belly pump seal that'll need replacing. That's where I am right now. Rear tires are very expensive. Don't know of any weak spots structurally.

I'm not going to suggest you pass! :D
 
Neighbor has offered several times to buy one of the two WD Allis Chalmers that I own. I can't afford to sell one because I have almost as much in rear tires and tubes as the tractor would sell for.

Last consignment tractor auction, most tractors sold for quite a bit less than they would have several years ago.
 
In general things were high at the auction Sat 140s $3000 to $4500 , 3600 ford $8,000 74 cub $3400 ford 3000 rough no power steering $3100 Taylor way 6 foot disc, blades 2/3 $1200 old king peg tooth drag $275 , Was a sellers market
Boss
 
Frankly, you would be hard pressed to give me an H. Too big to be a small tractor, not enough HP to be a big tractor. But, it's an old tractor. By all means, buy it!

Tires are outrageous. Find a good tire dealer that sells ag tires, or a good salvage yard. They might have a used one that you can purchase.

Al
 
I am trying to figure out why you would expect me to be able to talk you out of it, or even try to.

EJ%20and%20EJP.jpg
 
He must have deleted one of the ads. David found the correct seller, but another of his ads had more pictures after he moved it from the location in this ad....admittedly, I'm on the fence. I would really love to have one but do I NEED one? I know...need has nothing to do with it!
 
Those pictures show all the smiles! :D :D :D

Of course, those smiles are sitting on fresh paint and lots of :beer: money gone into restoring. I don't think you are going to get good advice from this crowd!

BUY IT! :shock:
 
There is a lot of reason for my smile, I am sitting on the tractor my father farmed with for 45 years, and I learned to drive on as well as using for many hours, then a friend of mine bought it from the relative who owned it and he along with others of the forum fixed it up and gave it to me as a surprise, in addition, in the picture it is setting on the floor where we were preparing to build my new tractor shed. How could I not be smiling.
 
There is an H coming up for auction on April 12th. I just got a flyer in the mail today from a friend and he knows the tractor. He drew a circle around it (Farmall H, new tires, paint & fenders) and wrote "Good Stuff" VanHorn Farm Equipment Auction

Doug
 
My Dad has 2 H models. I have also worked on another H. The only problems we have seen are leaky transmission seals and shifter ball end wear. Both easy fixes. Yes tires are high 350 -400 $ each, so are TV's, washers, and taxes. It is your choice, but after my JDA project is done, I will look for a H or a M.

Rodney 8)
 
Other than Eugene and Boss Hog, you guys sure aren't doing a very good job of talking me out of it. :lol:

I have an e-mail into the seller and would like to go take a look at it to see if it really is just a "thrasher" and not worth the time...

Mike
 
What, you have not picked it up yet? What is wrong with you? You know you want it. It is a tractor. You can fix it. All it takes is time and money. :big smile: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:
 
Back
Top