Old Song, WWII or earlier

Bus Driver

501 Club
I recall parts of a song from long ago. Virtually every song ever recorded is on the Internet-- but searches turn up nothing on this one. The song apparently is about a thrifty fellow who has a spendthrift woman in his life. One line goes: "Momma, momma, momma, you'll make a pauper out of me. You went home in a taxicab, I took the subway train."
Anyone with a clue as to the title and where one might find it online? Who recorded it?
 
Same here, tried a few times .. came up with some weird stuff but not the tune you were looking for... :(
 
I am grateful to learn of this song by Cole. Never heard it before. It does have the same basic premise and a few of the same words. I often watched his TV show. The song I am seeking predates Cole by several, perhaps many, years. The one I have in mind might be called a "fast foxtrot" or "quickstep". Maybe a big band song. But I know nothing about music.
 
The lyrics are too similar for it to be coincidence. The wikipedia page on this song also crosses to MIldred Bailey. I am not familiar with her, but it appears that her recordings mostly date to the 1930s. Cole evidently released it in 1942, so it was likely a rearranged cover of the Bailey recording. Perhaps you are recalling the Mildred Bailey version of the same song.
 
The vocalist was a male and the tempo of the song was quite brisk. I have one other possibility to locate some information.
 
Today I went through the stack of 78s that remain from the jukebox castoffs. The record was not there. So it probably was broken more than 50 years ago. Prior to and during the early part of WWII, my father ran a cafe. The jukebox used 78 rpm records. As records were removed from the machine, the old ones were often given to my father. Often the center hole was wobbled out oversize or the record was simply worn out. Over the years, many of them were broken as they were mishandled or dropped. As best I recall, the song in question was on one of those records.
Thanks for all your efforts. The search will continue if and when new ideas come to mind.
 
I am trying to remember the name of the fella that recorded "The Old Master Painter" .. it was a 78 that I had years and years ago but I still remember it. "The old master painter from the far away hills, painted the violets and the daffodils" I is going to take advantage of that resource.
 
Nope, not Vaughn Monroe. I have several of his recordings but his is not the version I am most fond of. It was recorded sometime in the 20's or very early 30's. My Grandparents had the 78 ... they were married in 1930.

I like musical mysteries :big smile:
 
I have no specific knowledge of that title from the 20's or 30s. While the name is little known today, Vernon Dalhart was the most popular recording artist of that era. The sales numbers for his recordings are impressive by the standards of any era. So statistics point to the possibility that it was Dalhart. Forgive me, but his voice is by far not the best I have ever heard-- just like my own.
Those who asked what I did with the money my Mother gave me for singing lessons were told that it was spent for karate lessons.
 
Back
Top