John *.?-!.* cub owner
501 Club
Now that the seals in the front of the transmission are fixed, and I do not have any urgent jobs waiting, I decided to fix some minor problems that have been accumulating on the old H, mostly minor oil leaks. The cover plate on the governor was leaking a little, plus at lower rpms (1/3 throttle or less) and light loads, such as in a parade, it would intermittently take spells of serious surging. A quick application of the brakes would stop it, but I decided it was time to look into that. Once the cover was off, I found a nut and what appeared to be a broken ear similar to what would be on a governor weight.
Doing a little looking and searching, I found that none of the governor weights nor the brackets they attach to were broken, plus the ear was smaller than used on a weight, so I went further. I did find that the pins that hold the weights are badly worn, so I will replace them while I am at it.
After going further I found that the broken ear and nut were from the bracket in the small housing above the governor where the shaft for the throttle attaches.
Both the broken ear and the nut came from here, and apparently fell down into the governor.
Doing a little looking and searching, I found that none of the governor weights nor the brackets they attach to were broken, plus the ear was smaller than used on a weight, so I went further. I did find that the pins that hold the weights are badly worn, so I will replace them while I am at it.
After going further I found that the broken ear and nut were from the bracket in the small housing above the governor where the shaft for the throttle attaches.
Both the broken ear and the nut came from here, and apparently fell down into the governor.