John *.?-!.* cub owner
501 Club
We had our town's annual Moses Austin Days celebration this year, commemorating when he founded the town over 250 years ago. Our tractor club put on a pedal tractor pull for the smaller kids, plus there was a parade, so I hauled a cub and my scooter in yesterday, and since it is only 5 miles I drove the H in this morning and back home again this afternoon. When I pulled the H in between a cedar tree and the shed and shut it off and go get the cub, I heard a funny buzzing sound. When I looked around I saw this about 10 feet from my head.
That swarm of bees is nearly the size of a basketball. Here is a closeup.
No, I was not that close, my camera has a good zoom. :lol: Bees are in short supply here, so not wanting to disturb them I waited till nearly dark when they had settled down to start the tractor back up and put it in the shed. They paid no attention to my starting the tractor, but as I was parking it a brake squealed a little and 3 or 4 came out of the swarm, looked around, then went back. I guess the high pitch disturbed them a little. I made several calls trying to find a bee keeper to either come and get them or set a hive along my back fence , but no luck, one has retired, and the other is tied up for a couple days, guess I will just have to hope they settle nearby. They will probably leave tomorrow.
That swarm of bees is nearly the size of a basketball. Here is a closeup.
No, I was not that close, my camera has a good zoom. :lol: Bees are in short supply here, so not wanting to disturb them I waited till nearly dark when they had settled down to start the tractor back up and put it in the shed. They paid no attention to my starting the tractor, but as I was parking it a brake squealed a little and 3 or 4 came out of the swarm, looked around, then went back. I guess the high pitch disturbed them a little. I made several calls trying to find a bee keeper to either come and get them or set a hive along my back fence , but no luck, one has retired, and the other is tied up for a couple days, guess I will just have to hope they settle nearby. They will probably leave tomorrow.