Northern Tool Sale

That is a mighty tempting price on the pipe tap set, even if just to get the 1" and 1-1/4". They are made in China. I just paid a BUNCH more than that just for the two sizes mentioned.


150502_lg.jpg

Item# 150502
Was $49.99
Sale $39.99
 
Mr E, is one of those taps the same size as the radiator plug hole? Might be nice to clean a couple of mine up and replace the plug to avoid the common problem of seizure!

Of course, I still have to get the one in my "extra" '55 out!!! :?
 
Dale, once you get it out, check with your local Carquest or NAPA, they have the right size brass plugs in both hex head and the original square head type. No problem with seizing once they are installed.
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":32dwjqsn said:
Dale, once you get it out, check with your local Carquest or NAPA, they have the right size brass plugs in both hex head and the original square head type. No problem with seizing once they are installed.

I have a brass plug in the bottom of my radiator on Merlin. I was told that there could be a potential problem with galling and seizing on the brass plug causing it to get stuck in the bolster as well. I have not had any trouble with it, but I also have only had that plug out twice since I have owned Merlin.

What are the thoughts on the brass plugs in the bottom of the bolster?

Mike in La Crosse, WI

(Sorry to hijack the thread - M)
 
BDFinch":15vx8vf7 said:
In case anyone is interested, I just received this email about a big sale from Northern Tool. ...
Craftsman Days are coming up at Sears and they'll have a bunch of Tools on sale as well. I'd say 75-80% of Craftsman tools are made in the US, don't know if that is true with the stuff Northern Tool sells.
 
RaymondDurban":2k377h26 said:
BDFinch":2k377h26 said:
In case anyone is interested, I just received this email about a big sale from Northern Tool. ...
Craftsman Days are coming up at Sears and they'll have a bunch of Tools on sale as well. I'd say 75-80% of Craftsman tools are made in the US, don't know if that is true with the stuff Northern Tool sells.

And Craftsman tools have a lifetime warranty! Made in the USA!

There are some lows prices after looking at what is on sale...big bang for your buck.
 
A word of caution on the "chrome vanadium" wrenches. I have used them and had the chrome chip and start to peel off the tool, acting like a razor blade. I've tossed most of them. They do make a cheap starter set, and for that seldom used sized, they are probably alright. :)
 
RaymondDurban":1ioo8c9v said:
Craftsman Days are coming up at Sears and they'll have a bunch of Tools on sale as well. I'd say 75-80% of Craftsman tools are made in the US, don't know if that is true with the stuff Northern Tool sells.
I will check with Sears since I already have lots of their tools and like being able to replace broken ones easily! Also,I like the MADE IN USA!

CapeCodCubs":1ioo8c9v said:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200473674_200473674or this for Cubfests
Who's bringing the marshmallows to DSCF??

Harold R":1ioo8c9v said:
A word of caution on the "chrome vanadium" wrenches. I have used them and had the chrome chip and start to peel off the tool, acting like a razor blade.
I definitely agree here...I've cut myself on them, too!

John *.?-!.* cub owner":1ioo8c9v said:
I always use pipe dope (paste not tape) on my plugs, and they come out easily.
That is just what I will do! Thanks!

MikeInWisconsin":1ioo8c9v said:
What are the thoughts on the brass plugs in the bottom of the bolster?
Any comments? I will definitely be replacing, so would like some input from you experts!!
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":hxtw2tni said:
I always use pipe dope (paste not tape) on my plugs, and they come out easily.

John, I thought that "pipe dope", was the name of the plumber who put the bathroom in the house my daughter recently bought! Ed
 
I have some snap-on tools that i broke and i got a rash from the salesman on the truck to replace them. Sears replaces them with no problems.
 
BigBill":obugxwyj said:
I have some snap-on tools that i broke and i got a rash from the salesman on the truck to replace them. Sears replaces them with no problems.

If you are not a regular buyer from the Snap On guy sure they moan about replacing a tool. You have to buy something and they will gladly swap out your broken tool. Think about it.

If I have a broken tool I give it to my brother to exchange who has well over $200,000 invested in his tools. Or see the local guy and spend a few bucks and have a happy salesman who will swap out the tool.

Best thing is made in USA awesome tools!!! Same with MAC, Matco, Cornwell and Williams and of course Craftsman....

Too bad SK shut down...loved their rachets and sockets....
 
CapeCodCubs":xn393zpq said:
BigBill":xn393zpq said:
I have some snap-on tools that i broke and i got a rash from the salesman on the truck to replace them. Sears replaces them with no problems.

If you are not a regular buyer from the Snap On guy sure they moan about replacing a tool. You have to buy something and they will gladly swap out your broken tool. Think about it. If I have a broken tool I give it to my brother to exchange who has well over $200,000 invested in his tools. Or see the local guy and spend a few bucks and have a happy salesman who will swap out the tool.

Best thing is made in USA awesome tools!!! Same with MAC, Matco, Cornwell and Williams and of course Craftsman....
Too bad SK shut down...loved their rachets and sockets....
Yeah, think about it. Replacing a broken tool goes along with the franchise. If it's a Craftsman you don't have to buy something to "bribe" the salesman. They just swap it out, no questions asked.
 
Not "all" of our favorite brands are made in the USA anymore. You really have to look at the packaging close, and if buying from the Internet, if it doesn't specifically say In the details "Made in USA", it ain't!! This is why I mentioned that "75-80%" of Craftsman tools are made here, because some are not. Same goes with Snap-On and some of the others.

Check out the following links before your next tool purchase, I think you'll be surprised.
http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/whotools.html
http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html
 
Back
Top