Noodling

Bob McCarty

Moderator
Staff member
My wife and I were walking along one of the irrigation ditches on our property with the dog. She asked me if I had seen any frogs yet. I told her no, that I thought it was still too early. She said "what are all those holes in the mud". I said "they may be frogs, why don't you stick your finger in one and see if you can pull out a frog. If there is, you can work your way up to noodling catfish." She didn't know what that was, so I explained how it was a redneck sport. She looked at me and said "you've been spending too much time with those southern boys at Cubfests." :D I guess I'm guilty as charged.

Bob
 
A guy who used to work with me had bruises up to his knees and elbows from sticking his arms and legs in the catfish nests in our local river.
 
Exciting stuff, when you come up on a likely spot, stick your hand in the hole, and a big ole cat grabs hold of you. Takes a steady nerve to keep your hand there and keep the hole blocked. Used to do it every year at a lake not far from where I was raised. Got cousins that still do it today :-)
 
Not all southern boys do that. My nerves are not that good.

I will stick with a hook and line.
 
Yep. :Dito: Sometimes, there are things besides catfish in those holes. In these parts, once you're in the water.....you're no longer the top of the food chain. :shock:
 
Bob McCarty":2ie7hfp0 said:
..... She said "what are all those holes in the mud". I said "they may be frogs, why don't you stick your finger in one and see if you can pull out a frog. If there is, you can work your way up to noodling catfish."......
Around here those mud holes or mounds you see anywhere from a few feet to several yards from the water or frequently crawdad (crayfish) mounds and you can get quite a surprise sticking your fingers down in there. :?
 
Back
Top