Lucas Oil Products

freedhardwoods

Active member
I thought I would tell some of my experiences with Lucas oil products. It's not actually a tool, but it can be used on equipment and tools. I know, some people don't think much of additives but I've had it worked pretty good for me.

One of the semis I used to own broke a wrist pin about five hundred miles short of one million miles. If you've never had that happen, I can tell you, it makes bad loud noises. By some miracle the rod did not touch the cylinder wall.
I had been changing the oil every twenty thousand miles and using ten gallons of rotella 15w40 and two gallons of lucas engine oil additive. I knew it wasn't burning any oil but with a million miles on it and they were going to have to tear into the engine anyhow I decided to go ahead and overhaul it. When they got the pistons out, you could still see hone marks in all six cylinders.

I parked for the night at a steel plant I was going to unload at in Omaha, Nebraska. When I was walking around the truck the next morning checking everything out, I saw all the oil had leaked out of one of the trailer hubs through the seal. I went ahead and unloaded, and it was only about five miles to the truckstop, so I drove over there, cleaned up the mess with a couple cans of ether, and, taking a gamble, I bought a bottle of lucas hub oil and filled the hub up. I was checking it fairly often that first day, but I ended up running the entire week until I got home and changed the seal when I got home. It did not leak all week.

I have a five horsepower continuous duty air compressor on a sixty gallon tank at home. The oil leaked out of the crank case and the rod seized on the crank. I had to heat the rod with the torch to make it let go of the crank. I spent about 20 minutes spraying wd40 and then ether, turning it as I was spraying. Once I was convinced I had it as clean as it was going to be, I poured some Lucas hub oil onto the rod and crank and kept turning until I was sure it had worked in. Then I put everything back together and filled the crankcase up with lucas hub oil. That was 20 years ago. It's still running like a champ and I use that compressor a lot.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience! I think it is important to share our experiences with others and allow them to share theirs with us. After all, I might just learn a thing or 2 the easy way. 😀
 
Been using Lucas oil stabilizer in my Super A transmission and final drives for a long time now. The key thing to remember is the stuff is "sticky" and will work its way up into gears and keep em coated even after it's been sitting for a while.

I usually use a ratio about 1/5 gear oil and 4/5 Lucas. The little bit a gear oil keeps it a little "wet and runny". Don't want it too thick or else it won't run well into the channels for bearings, especially in cold weather. It's good stuff.

While on the topic of oils, I've been using Valvoline High-Milage synthetic blend in my cars and Super A for years. It's also good stuff.

Modern petroleum chemistry is the stuff of miracles when it comes to old and/or tired machines.
 
Been using Lucas oil stabilizer in my Super A transmission and final drives for a long time now. The key thing to remember is the stuff is "sticky" and will work its way up into gears and keep em coated even after it's been sitting for a while.

I usually use a ratio about 1/5 gear oil and 4/5 Lucas. The little bit a gear oil keeps it a little "wet and runny". Don't want it too thick or else it won't run well into the channels for bearings, especially in cold weather. It's good stuff.

While on the topic of oils, I've been using Valvoline High-Milage synthetic blend in my cars and Super A for years. It's also good stuff.

Modern petroleum chemistry is the stuff of miracles when it comes to old and/or tired machines.
I've been using Valvoline Max-Life as well for years. My hemi Dodge is just about to roll over 270k. I've used that oil for the last 130k and it's still running the original camshaft. My mechanic said he's never seen a cam last that long in a hemi. I've never heard that before but he said he's changed out a lot of them. Anyhow, I've got some pretty high mileage on all our vehicles using that oil....and K&N oil filters after Wix had problems a time ago.
 
I use Motorkote in everything and have done so for decades. Have to buy the stuff on Amazon now that there are no purchasing options on the Motorkote website. Not an oil thickener like Lucas.
 
Back
Top