Loading rear tires on "H"

Hi, Lost the chloride out of one of my "H" tires. Got a new tube used rim and changed and remounted the tire. Was wondering if anyone could give me a gestament on how much chloride it will take to reload it 2/3's full like the owners manual recommends.
Thanks for your time and have a great day.
Moe
 
40 gallons at 7.x lbs per gallon is 300 lbs in each tire. it's an easy, initially inexpensive way to add more than 2 sets of weights to a tractor.

the down side....the rim tends to rot out near the valve stem.
 
artc":2nrf7i5f said:
40 gallons at 7.x lbs per gallon is 300 lbs in each tire. it's an easy, initially inexpensive way to add more than 2 sets of weights to a tractor.

the down side....the rim tends to rot out near the valve stem.

Art,

A gallon of water will weigh about 8.3# plus the weight of the dissolved calcium which doesn't increase volume.
 
An 11-38 tire holds 42 gallons when filled to the (typical) 75% level. That adds 351#. 2# of CaCl in a gallon of water lowers the freezing point to -23 degrees F. 38 gallons of that solution weighs 398#.

(I know that a liquid doesn't expand when something is dissolved in it. But for some reason, they change the # of gallons for a 75% fill of the solution.)
 
George Willer":kk6rudq2 said:
A gallon of water will weigh about 8.3# plus the weight of the dissolved calcium which doesn't increase volume.

Actually, George, the volume does increase ever so slightly.....nothing that you'd notice in a 5 gallon bucket, but it might add an inch or so in a 55 gallon drum...........
 
Hi guys, thanks for the help. I just got in from deer camp to take a shower before heading back in and just read your replies. I have been told $1.50 a gal. for chloride plus $55.00 a hr. from the only tire dealer in our area who does road service. Since my other rim is bad also I am going to have him pump that one before changing it. The one I lost the chloride out of I did my self.
Moe
 
Weight hugh! Seems to me a chloride solution would be corrosive to the rims. Why not just use an automotive anti-freeze with water.
 
Hi, 40 gal.for chloride at $1.50 a gal. is $60.00. The $55.00 a hr.I have to pay for there time regardless what they use to load it with. Some people who can afford It do use antifreeze but where I live a 50/50 mixture costs $6.00 a gal . We are talking $240.00 just for the mixture!!!! way over my head. That is more then I paid for the two rims. You are right It will rust out the rims but I will be long gone before I need to worry about that again.
Moe
 
Back
Top