Liquid to free stuck engine ?

Bezirk

501 Club
What is your choice to free a stuck engine ( what has worked best for you ) ? I have some ideas but would like you input. I just bought an Oliver 550 with loader that the engine is stuck. Thanks in advance .

Berlin
 
I've had great success mixing 50% acetone with 50% auto transmission fluid. Shake well before applying. Also had success buying the Seafoam penetrant spray and PB Blaster. Kroil is another one people have used, but it's not sold around here as readily as the others.

Others may chime in...
 
I've had no success with the ATF/acetone mix. Been using Kroil. Depending on how severely it is stuck, I've had to use a press, too!
Ed
 
ScottyD'sdad":387724rb said:
Depending on how severely it is stuck, I've had to use a press, too!
I have placed a block of wood on top of a piston, then chained a hydraulic jack over the piston. Apply pressure. Next day a bit more pressure. Also used solvent.

I had one engine that I worked on for 6 months to free up. Never did get unstuck.

I gave the stuck WC Allis engine to my Dad's friend. We placed the engine in a barrel of waste engine oil. The guy said that he would leave the engine submerged in engine oil until he need to rebuild his current WC engine. Don't know if he ever used the engine or got it unstuck.
 
Eugene":38bdejpz said:
ScottyD'sdad":38bdejpz said:
Depending on how severely it is stuck, I've had to use a press, too!
I have placed a block of wood on top of a piston, then chained a hydraulic jack over the piston. Apply pressure. Next day a bit more pressure. Also used solvent.

I had one engine that I worked on for 6 months to free up. Never did get unstuck.

I gave the stuck WC Allis engine to my Dad's friend. We placed the engine in a barrel of waste engine oil. The guy said that he would leave the engine submerged in engine oil until he need to rebuild his current WC engine. Don't know if he ever used the engine or got it unstuck.

I turn a hardwood plug in a lathe, for a loose fit., in the cylinder. Beating on that, with a hammer, sometimes works. Pressing it, with the crankshaft removed, has worked for me, using a 12 ton press, after soaking for a while, with Kroil. The one that seemed impossible, had a cracked cylinder wall, pressing against the piston.from freezing in the block. All that work, for a piece of scrap iron!
Ed
 
A technique I've used on hit and miss engines is to use a flat thick steel plate bolted to the block and inject grease with a hand pump grease gun. You fill the cylinder with grease before bolting up. This is pretty hard on the threads in the block so I'm not sure if it should be used on a cub. This also forces lubrication down to the rings / cylinder wall in the process.

Ron
 
Back
Top