Lengthening PTO Control handle

ShawnAgne

501 Club
Mowed yesterday and only thing I don't like is having to reach back to trip the PTO handle. Just wondering if anyone has modified theres so it is longer. Like how the handle is on the 300. Was thinking about making a split color and then adding some rod to bring it up higher.
 
Shawn, post a picture of it. I don't have any of those tractors and can't offer solutions (sometimes poor ones) without knowing more about the situation.
 
Shawn, post a picture of it. I don't have any of those tractors and can't offer solutions (sometimes poor ones) without knowing more about the situation.
Bob,
I'm glad you asked for a picture.
7oQjfFr.jpeg


I saw the rod is actually cotter-pinned into the actuator. So that means I can just make a completely new rod.
Now that I know how it's attached, I'm thinking of taking it up and turning it 90 degrees to the right before it reaches deck height. Carry that out just to the end of the deck. Then going 90 straight up and then bending it forward. Going to try to emulate the F300 PTO lever, which is VERY comfortable to use.

The only thing I have to decide on is if I should use the 1/4" or whatever rod it is, or use something heavier and turn down the end that goes in the shaft for more support. I'm guessing the straight rod will be ok.
 
For the overall length you’ll be creating, I think a 3/8 rod would serve you better. Thread the top end and put on a knob to make it easier to grip.
 
One concern I have is if I go up then do I 90 degree bend at the deck will pushing back on it cause a torque at the cotter pin? Thought was yes, BUT not going to cause any issues. Other thought was to go vertical then bed it up round the seat but keeping it below the seat. Just want it out of the way of the light.
 
Pay attention to the weight you add and where you add it. The PTO is held in gear by a plunger/spring similar to what holds the transmission into each gear. If you put in a heavier lever, particularly with weight ahead of the current location, it may tend to disengage itself. It will be worse on rougher ground. Also keep in mind that the throw will get longer with a longer lever. A six- or seven-inch throw will require a lot of "reserved" space and may become a more annoying reach than reaching behind. You might consider making a lever that mounts at/near the front edge of the tool box with a push/pull link going back to the current lever.
 
Funny you should mention that darn lever....I am going to do the same thing. Awkward and a real reach. I was just going to thread the current rod, but on one of those connecting collars and attach a 18" (or so) rod that is bent 60 degrees to the right for about 6" and vertical again. That's the plan. Although a one piece rod would probably be better. Let me know how it goes!
 
Back
Top