Leaking Lantern

VinceD

501 Club
I recently picked up a couple of old kerosene lanterns. They are in good shape with the original glass. The only problem is they leak. The fuel chamber must have either a few pin-holes or a seam leak. I know you can "re-coat" a fuel tank, do you think it would work on a lantern with very tiny holes? Any suggestions on what to use? Any other suggestions on how to fix the leak?
 
I picked up some Red Kote for $24 at my local welding shop if that gives you some idea of cost.
PM sent....
 
I posted a reply to this yesterday morning but I guess it got lost in space. Anyway, I use liquid epoxy that I get at the big box store. The kit is 2, 8oz. jars, just mix 1:1, I mix it in a dixie cup. I pour in enough that I can roll the lantern around, to cover any areas that need it. My wife has bought several leaky lanterns, so I've done quite a few this way.
 
Thanks guys, for all the suggestions. Really appreciate it.

Gary, any brand name I should ask for or just "liquid epoxy". We will be at Lowe's or Home Depot later this week.
 
Vince, it's called "Power Poxy for Pros" I got from Menards but I would think the others should have it also. Check the paint dept.
 
Back
Top