lawn rollers

john2189

501 Club
Anyone have any luck with lawn rollers? 48" wide or wider- plastic ? steel? what stores? Any recommendations?

I need one , the moles have been really bad last few years.

I will be pulling it with my Cub while mowing with the 59 woods.

Thanks
John
 
I have owned a plastic lawn roller for perhaps 10 years. Guessing, 36" wide. Towed with a 10 or 12 HP Cub Cadet. Works great. No problems.

Don't recall the store where purchased. Guessing one of the big box hardware stores.

Only thing with any lawn roller is to make sure you drain the roller after each use.
 
Eugene":30bmrnwi said:
Only thing with any lawn roller is to make sure you drain the roller after each use.

Mine is filled with used crankcase oil. No need to drain and it won't rust out. Mine is home made, made by my dad and a neighbor. It's about 50" wide and about 2 feet in diameter.
 
I have an antique roller it will never leak its all iron probably 100 years old.

Moles have you put GrubX down :?: , one application per season and moles go away that's their food supply, if the don't leave there something else possibly Voles
 
I roll my yard with a 48" x 24" steel roller that I fill with water (and drain after use). My 184 tractor is heavier per square inch than the roller so when in soft areas, the tires can leave grooves in the yard that the roller can't fix. Be careful about how wet the yard is. The ground moisture needs to be just right to work properly. I find it best to roll the top of a hill after a good soaking rain, but wait a few days after the rain to do the bottom of a hill (or a low area).
 
I have one I fixed up to pull behind my ZTR, but have found that mowing my yard with the Mott flail does a good job of discouraging moles. :lol: It weighs around 200 pounds, and the weight is carried on a 48 inch wide by 5 inch diameter cast iron roller. The combination of that covering every inch of the area along with the vibration of the flail running really discourages moles. As an experiment I only used the ZTR last year and did not mow any of the yard with the Mott. I am noticing the moles coming back already with the unusually warm weather we are having, so I will soon be launching a flail attack. :evil:
 
John,

Seems that we have had this discussion before http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58614&p=483375&hilit=lawn+Roller#p483375

As for the moles, try applying a grub control product containing imidacloprid (trade name Merit) at the recommended label rate. Application on/near June 1, in your area, should provide adequate grub control and lessen (note, not eliminate) mole activity. As I recall, your property was not surrounded by a lot of trees, so this treatment might be all you need. If you have moved into a heavily wooded area, moles are a given and not much can be done short of trapping them.

Hope this helps.

Bill
 
Back
Top