How to remove UMF bolts

Slim140

501 Club
I have a UMF I want to repaint to red like it should be on our '49 and I wanted to get the bolts out where it clamps so I can put square head set screws in. We all know the end of the bolt inside gets mushroomed and will mess up the threads coming out so here's my solution. IMG_4235.jpgIMG_4234.jpg Back the bolt out as far as you can without getting it to tight then take a cutoff wheel on a grinder and cut the head off.IMG_4237.jpg Then take the cutoff wheel and grind a groove for a flat head screwdriver, be careful with your grinder so you don't grind your UMF.IMG_4238.jpg Then screw it inward until you get it out. You may have to do a little grinding on the first thread where you cut it off so it will come out easier. IMG_4239.jpg And it's out.IMG_4240.jpg
 
I would have been tempted to use a die grinder to remove the mushroomed portion of the bolt, but there's lots of opportunity to slip and gouge up the square bore and you can't clean up the last thread that way. I like your method better. Thanks for sharing!
 
Urbish":3mkiaybb said:
I would have been tempted to use a die grinder to remove the mushroomed portion of the bolt, but there's lots of opportunity to slip and gouge up the square bore and you can't clean up the last thread that way. I like your method better. Thanks for sharing!
I've done them that way too, to me it's easier this way but I guess it depends on what tools you have. You're welcome!
 
an electric drill would have worked great for running the stub in to the casting
a little Kroyl and Zip its done. :mrgreen:

Mike
 
The other method that occurs to me is to turn the bolt in, reach in with a torch and heat the mushroomed end cherry red, then unscrew the bolt. I have never tried this and don't know if it would work well or not. I like the cut the head off method.
 
My solution when I had that problem was a little different, and to me easier. I screwed the bolts all the way in and reached inside the tube with a metal cutting blade in my reciprocal saw and sliced off the end of the bolt and backed it out. Since my tractors are working rigs rather than show tractors, I got some hex head set screws so I could tighten them with a larger wrench, or even my smaller impact.
 
Back
Top