Hogweed

mozer71

501 Club
This poison plant has been found recently in Clarke county, Virginia. It will be moving west and east. It is a horrible poisonous plant. You can read more about it elsewhere. The blisters are painful and often take a time in a hospital. If you get contact under your arms or fair skin, it is a rough road to get healed again.
I didn't think this was fake news or I wouldn't mention it.
There are white blossoms at the top, similar to umbrellas. The leaves are ratty reverse pointy things, then the poisonous stalk splits to three limbs and white blossoms. I Had to mention this because many will get to mowing poison ivy or poison oak. They have had that experience but this is something else.
 
Serious and getting more serious. Type Hogweed update. VDOT (Virginia Department of Transportation) has discovered this huge hogweed along the roads they maintain. One has to be protected to handle this stuff. They recommend a poison applied, for this isn't poison ivy, poison oak with the oily leaves. I think the blooms will carry the poison down to the roots. They/ somebody said hack it down to root level and then apply Roundup or similar to the stump. The trunk/stem is solid poison for a long time.
 
I think the timing of this outbreak is suspicious. Monsanto is being sued by class-action and other ways. They are making a big deal about hazards to those who used the product continuously. The result will either make the product more expensive or we are left with a horrible weed and no way to kill it.
 
Giant Hogweed was introduced into the United States in 1917 by The University of Connecticut as an ornamental plant. Just another fake Monsanto conspiracy theory.
 
Thanks for your reply. I don't think it was Herculeum or the poison type now. They would have eradicated it. Please, this isn't an argument. You're in MD and I'm in VA. Maybe you will see it and maybe not. I can deal with poison ivy. I was chopping and pulling heavy vines off an old elm tree. Some of the thorns penetrated an artery of my arm. I don't need tell you about system poison but that was a rough road. Years later another thorn would surface and TtL extract that particle. Poison sumac in variations of "poison oak" have become insidious things to one who is hyper sensitive, (since it remains in the body for awhile) . If I brushed across poison oak on my forearm, it would be a huge rash from my wrist, armpit to shoulder and then the fun begins. Blisters and swelling and also if you/I wiped our face, blisters across the face and swollen eyelids. Look like been in a fight. I Hate this stuff for good reason. Kill it all!
Then this large hogweed is even worse and.... dagonnit maybe it didn't happen.
 
Back
Top