Hello from South Carolina!

TractorAuthor

New member
Good morning, everyone! My name is Jim Davis and I live in Greenville, South Carolina. I just bought by first Cub a few weeks ago, I believe it's a 1953. It's a bit banged up and wrung out but it runs, drives, and mows.
I'm sure I share this with many other members, that my introduction to the Cub was very early in life through my grandfather, who owned one most of his life. He passed away 20 years ago and I was sad that none of the family members wanted to keep the tractor except me, and I was not financially able to "buy it from the estate." Even if I had, I would have had to find a way to trailer it from Maine to South Carolina.
I'm glad to find a website dedicated entirely or primarily to the Cub.
I'll need some help getting my Cub in good operating condition. I think I need an alternator to complete its transition to 12 Volt, for instance.
My other tractor is a Ford 861 Powermaster which I bought not running but hope to get it running soon.

I am a Christian fiction author with several titles published. I write about tractors in some of my books, not as the main plot, usually, but as details to what's going on.
 

Attachments

  • Farmall Cub.jpg
    Farmall Cub.jpg
    566.4 KB · Views: 7
Welcome to the forum Jim. Best site for Farmall and IH Cubs!!. You can check the serial number on the ID plate that is attached to the front bolter near where the steering shaft goes into the front casting. There's a table on this site that has a listing for tractors by year built during the production run. If you locate the number and post it someone will ID the year built. Also you can compare the casting numbers on the major castings which will ID the month/day/year the parts were cast. Looks like a WOODS 42 deck in the picture. Stan
 
Welcome to the forum Jim. Best site for Farmall and IH Cubs!!. You can check the serial number on the ID plate that is attached to the front bolter near where the steering shaft goes into the front casting. There's a table on this site that has a listing for tractors by year built during the production run. If you locate the number and post it someone will ID the year built. Also you can compare the casting numbers on the major castings which will ID the month/day/year the parts were cast. Looks like a WOODS 42 deck in the picture. Stan
This is a link from TM Tractors that offers the information that Stan is referring to as well:

TM is also a forum sponsor and a good source for parts!
 
Thank you, everybody! I also have a 20 +/- year old Cub Cadet at my god son's place, but I forget what model it is. It isn't old enough to be collectible or anything.
My Cub has serial number 163120 and has a J stamped after that.
 
Back
Top