Golf Carts

Jeff Silvey

501 Club
Well the old mayor got stopped by the locals for exercising my golf cart on the public streets. They ask me if it was registered I being a smarty pants I thought he was kidding (he was smiling funny) I said in some state. It has to have all the safety stuff which it does, but a car came up behind me he said they have to start to crack down on the problem. I texted the town street guy which has a golf cart he said he didnt know anything was going down.

What I'm asking if everyone can PM or email me their town ordiance's / State laws.

Be SAFE
Thanks

PS:
I didnt get a ticket.
 
Jeff Silvey":2ilclzi1 said:
Well the old mayor got stopped by the locals for exercising my golf cart on the public streets. They ask me if it was registered I being a smarty pants I thought he was kidding (he was smiling funny) I said in some state. It has to have all the safety stuff which it does, but a car came up behind me he said they have to start to crack down on the problem. I texted the town street guy which has a golf cart he said he didnt know anything was going down.

What I'm asking if everyone can PM or email me their town ordiance's / State laws.

Be SAFE
Thanks

PS:
I didnt get a ticket.
You should have gotten a smarty pants ticket. :shock: :roll:

I live in the country and I THINK I can get by with a SMV sign (during the day).
 
I think there are some recent changes to either state or federal law concerning the operation of golf carts on public roads. The topic came up at a recent city council meeting in my previous Iowa home town. The town had previously permitted golf carts on city streets to and from the golf course located on the edge of town.

CRS. Can't remember the name. There is a compilation of ordinances and laws for cities and towns to use when drafting one to suit their needs.

What or how a city/town/county/state regulates the operation golf carts on or across public thoroughfares is irrelevant if you live in a different jurisdiction.
 
In Kansas(Coffey County where I live) you can drive them on any county road with no restrictions. In the towns, they have to have passed an ordinance that will allow them . Some require insurance and special permits and others do not.
 
This is not my town but there are so many different ones i just posted his one.

LAKE ARTHUR, La. (AP) - Golf carts will not be allowed to putter around Lake Arthur.
The town council took a stance Wednesday to uphold existing local and state laws banning golf carts from public streets.
Mayor Robbie Bertrand said the town had been advised by legal representation and its insurance carrier to uphold whatever laws are in place banning golf carts from town streets.
Police Chief Cheryl Vincent said certain vehicles classified as low-speed vehicles, including golf carts that are legally registered with a license plate, certificate of origin and vehicle identification number are considered street legal.
Vincent said the town began cracking down on enforcement of the law last year after receiving complaints about children hanging off golf carts and riding them at night.

Topics: Lake Arthur, bans, golf, carts, streets
 
Jeff - check with your state Bureau of Motor Vehicles for laws / requirements for golf carts. In Ohio your cart must have head / tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, rear view mirrors, a horn, windshield and also a light for the license plate, They must be insured with liability insurance. Not every municipality approves them in this state but apparently your town does. Some of Ohio's requirements can be found here:
http://bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling_apv_usv.stm

They are licensed as an underspeed vehicle and you can be fined for exceeding 25 mph on them. They also cannot be operated on streets / roads where the speed limit is over 35 mph.
They must have all equipment installed and then be inspected. In our area, the county sheriff's department handles the inspections. Once inspected, you get a form from the inspector and then along with a bill of sale or proof of ownership which you take to the title office and they issue you a vehicle title. We pay the same rate for tags as a passenger car.
 
Bigdog":12xxm4qh said:
Jeff - check with your state Bureau of Motor Vehicles for laws / requirements for golf carts. In Ohio your cart must have head / tail lights, brake lights, turn signals, rear view mirrors, a horn, windshield and also a light for the license plate, They must be insured with liability insurance. Not every municipality approves them in this state but apparently your town does. Some of Ohio's requirements can be found here:
http://bmv.ohio.gov/registration_titling_apv_usv.stm

They are licensed as an underspeed vehicle and you can be fined for exceeding 25 mph on them. They also cannot be operated on streets / roads where the speed limit is over 35 mph.
They must have all equipment installed and then be inspected. In our area, the county sheriff's department handles the inspections. Once inspected, you get a form from the inspector and then along with a bill of sale or proof of ownership which you take to the title office and they issue you a vehicle title. We pay the same rate for tags as a passenger car.

OUCH
 
One thing I found really odd was that I was required to remove my SMV sign when I licensed my cart for the road. I would feel much better if I could have left it attached.
 
Our town requires the following:

Lights
SMV sign
side reflectors
rearview mirror
parking brake
liability insurance
registered with the city (they confirm you have all the above)

No restrictions on when/where you can drive (all streets in town are 35 MPH or less), but you have to be old enough to have a driver's license to operate it on city streets. I tend to avoid streets where I'd have to mingle with semi trucks or lots of cars, though. We stick to residential side streets where speed limits are 20 MPH

Dave
 
Back
Top