Gas line explodes

I thought they were talking about one of those Hot Running WV Cubs when I first heard about it on the way home from work tonight :lol: On a serious note. I hope nobody was hurt and it is certainly going to make a mess of things for a while.

Doug
 
Some of the prettiest country I have ever seen in my life is down in that area, only to be found when detouring off the West Virgina Turnpike for a road closure.

The biggest one that sticks in my mind was the Suttles accident at the bottom of tunnel hill that spilled the Formaldehyde which led to a multi day road closure.
 
Was it a Gas transmission line or a service line. Some of the transmission lines are pressured up to 400+ PSI to push the gas long distances.
 
It really concerns me with all the gas transmission lines that are placed underground. The earth is always shifting and putting pressure on these lines which always ends up with rupture and an explosion.
 
I believe it was a 20" or so transmission line. According to people we normally deal with a WVDOH one 900' section of I-77 was milled, paved, striped and completely repaired last night and reopened this morning. The other lanes will be ready this afternoon. Four of five homes destroyed...so dang hot it melted the guardrail and showed up on the local weather radar. Thank the Lord no one was killed or seriously injured...
 
Get your marshmallows out - you can probably brown them up from your front porch Yogie!! :D
 
Things are back on track now, very lucky it happened at around 1:00pm so the trafic was slow and people were at work and school when they're houses burnt.
The detour around this area came by our town and back to I77 at Ripley exit. That was around a 75 mile adventure through the hills for many out of staters. :shock:
They spent about 20 hours yesterday trying to get one tractor trailer out after going through the guard rails and over a hill.
That caused me another detour on my way home...

Most of these lines are well over 50 years old and believe me the land here so steep it moves at all times.
There'll be much more of this in the future I'm sure.
 
Back
Top