Gas cans

Help is where you find it and often it is a surprise. Looking on the Freecycle for my area, I saw three gas cans offered. Old gas in them and needing disposal. Only 5 miles to meet the donor. I now have them. While there are sure to be those who disagree, for old gas that still flows freely, I add it sparingly to the fuel tank on my Diesel tractor. Never a problem for me from that. Years ago, Volkswagen advised adding up to 30% gasoline to the fuel for their Diesels in cold weather. I limit mine to 10%. So disposal is environmentally as friendly as it gets. And saves a bit of fuel money.
And all three cans have spouts!
 
I inquired with RotoPax about just getting the screw on vent caps for the rectangular plastic Rubbermaid Gas Cans since the spigot/nozzle is fine.
They are available for $2 each plus $2 shipping per order. I ordered (4) caps. I'll report back once I get them.
Peter
 
BD:

Bus Driver":owmhvw3m said:
While there are sure to be those who disagree, for old gas that still flows freely, I add it sparingly to the fuel tank on my Diesel tractor. Never a problem for me from that. Years ago, Volkswagen advised adding up to 30% gasoline to the fuel for their Diesels in cold weather. I limit mine to 10%. So disposal is environmentally as friendly as it gets. And saves a bit of fuel money.

We regularly added old gas to the diesel for the TD7/8 and the JD-644D/E's that I was running. Dad also added old gas to his diesel mix usually in the winter to help it flow better for his Massey 1040. I may continue with that practice the next diesel I get access to (hopefully it will be mine) :D

An excellent way to dispose of old gas :!:
 
Today I looked at the cans closely. Two them had water, not gasoline. One did have gasoline and the filter funnel was used to add that to the can for topping off the tractor. One of the Blitz cans has the vent twisted off. The original probably had a small cap that screwed on to close the vent. No threaded portion remains.
Another can is Chilton P10. Manufacturer's name is on the bottom of the can. It has a bigger opening than any of the other cans. Threads are very different and larger. As best I can tell, Chilton gas can business was acquired by Blitz, probably before the EPA designed the gas cans.
 
Spouts are pretty pricey these days, seems like you can get a cheap can for the price of the spouts. That's why I got the no spill one.... it was a wise decision in my opinion. Seems like even the best gas cans can dribble and that one doesn't.

You can tell we had a lot of snow last winter, the furry tailed rats got a hold of my 5 gallon one... Worked it over big time. Must have been some hungry to eat imported plastic :lol:
SAM_0435.jpg
 
Found a yellow rubber spout out in the garage, Hard as a brick, can't even get the stopper out of it, oh well... Still have two working round metal Brookins/Eagle cans.
 
I have a few of the Blitz spouts and really like them, and the only problems I have had is that if you drop the can on concrete the spouts frequently do not survive if it hits first. For filling bigger tanks I use one of these.
21ulr8DXL8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Tools-JB56 ... s=gas+pump

They are rated to handle gasoline, and cost $10 from Amazon.com. I would give a little more for a sturdier one, because either the switch or the hose one or the other usually fails within a year or two. However, having 2 artificial hips and a bad back it sure beats having to hold a 5 gallon can up in the air while you fill a tank.

Just discovered this pump on Amazon. I think I will try it the next time I order one.
http://www.amazon.com/TERAPUMP-TRHD03-O ... s=gas+pump
 
I just use the gray one in the background over the Cub's shoulder. I also have a couple of 20-30 year old plastic cans for 2 cycle and if I have to carry any. Even have some old metal cans in reserve, if needed.

DSC00361.jpg
 
More about Blitz.
"As of July 25th Blitz U.S.A. is no longer able to offer product support
in the form of replacement parts, replacement products, or refund offers.
We will be closing our sole facility on July 31st. Manufacture and
shipping of all product has now ceased in anticipation of this closure.

All claims for eligible warranty refund must be submitted through the
Blitz U.S.A. bankruptcy proceedings. A special hotline has been
established expressly for this purpose at (877) 606-7519. Consumers may
also visit http://www.kccllc.net/blitz for further information. This same process
shall apply to any liability claims that may be received.

Blitz U.S.A. product information including safety messaging and product
use instructions will continue to be available at http://www.blitzusa.com until
September 30th, 2013."

Thank you,

Nate
Consumer Service
Blitz USA
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":26mitao2 said:
.............
Just discovered this pump on Amazon. I think I will try it the next time I order one.
http://www.amazon.com/TERAPUMP-TRHD03-O ... s=gas+pump
Had to see what the improved version that John had found was. I saw him use the first one mentioned the other day and was impressed with the speed it pumped at. I figured they would be just a dribble. Once I clicked on the link I was intrigued by the buzzer. The best part was in the description. Bold and underlined added by me after I finished laughing uncontrollably;

Auto-Stop System with Buzzer: Full automatic sensing pump. Auto stop before overflowing by sensor
Original Liquid Transfer Pump! Don't be fooled by lesser quality Made in China imitation pumps.
Number of Pieces: 1 , Power: 2 D batteries Main Material: P.P, P.E, Acetal , Made in Korea
 
:D :D

I was in Wal-mart the other day and they had the gas cans with with the old style spouts. I bought two of them. I've spilled more gas and diesel with the new ones than I think I've put in the tanks.
 
My most recent post about Blitz is their response to my inquiry about whether any of their other spouts will fit onto the cans originally equipped with the "Enviro-Flo" assembly. The one I have soon became balky about moving the automatic locking lever from "Store" to "Pour" and one assumes that it will break soon. My question concerned whether the "Hand-E Flo" spout would fit my can.
If my question is answered, the answer will have to come from other quarters and finding one of the spouts is now more of a problem.
 
I have put the Blitz spout on several of my older small gas cans. It will fit most of them. I do have a tendency to use my pliers to remove the little store/pour lever on the Blitz spouts. It does create a problem wen filling real small cans in having to pull it again and again when trickling the gas in.
 
Thank you for that link. I do need a couple of those spouts. The price is steep. The listing calls them "rubber", but it is more likely that they are molded from a plastisol, a form of vinyl.
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":2czyusvu said:
From past experience, those Eagle spouts will only work on Eagle metal cans, so be sure before you order.

Agreed. I think that I have three of those cans needing spouts. Those spouts vibrate if the can is in the truck and they then break off right at the metal cap. Use something else for the cans that are kept in the truck. Keeping them out of sunlight is also a good idea.

Probably some government agency will soon order that those spouts cannot be sold since the cans do not meet latest specifications. Which article of the Constitution covers gas cans?
 
Back
Top