Gallbladder Surgery

Eugene

501 Club
Piece of cake. It's been about 5 hours since the outpatient surgery. Abdominal pain level slightly below the 1 level. Have not taken any of the prescribed pain pills. Been out walking at the farmers market.

Reason I'm writing this post is that the internet after gallbladder operation procedures do not match the handout provided by the hospital.

No dietary restrictions in the hospital handout. Normal diet.

10 lb. weight restriction for 2 weeks in the hospital handout and some verbal restrictions on type of physical exercises not to do during the healing up period.
 
I am glad you are doing so well but seems like out walking about only 5 hours after might be pushing it? Wishing you a full and speedy recovery!
 
Indy4570":36hv0hru said:
Seems like out walking about only 5 hours after might be pushing it?
One of the pre-operation handouts said that I could not drive for 24 hours after the outpatient operation, but that I could either take public trasnportation or walk home.

I decided that the 30 mile one way walk home was a bit much, so had son drive me home.

Really hoping the gallblader removal solves some/all of my nausea and vomiting problems. Thinking back, I have missed two of the last three MidMo Cub Fests, being ill. Feeling great for a few days, then have to cancel a number of physical therapy and other medical appointments due to the nausea.
 
Don McCombs":27rm1b28 said:
I would put much more faith in the hospital handout, than I would in the Internet. ANY Internet source.


If it's on the internet, then it MUST be true! :lol:
 
Just spent the day taking my wife to/from the hospital...getting her gallbladder removed. We’re hoping she feels better soon; hoping the same for you.
Fortunately, it sounds like you are recovering a little quicker than Robyn.
 
Going back through my computer stored medical records, first medical check disclosing possible gallbladder problems was 30 Dec 2014. Was also going through spine and right hip problems. Could only walk or stand for a couple of minutes. Wheelchair for even short distances.

Referral to internal medicine and several tests, disclosed gallbladder stones. Turned down for a gallbladder operation at that time due to physical condition.

Physical therapy sessions for stenosis in upper spine and later more sessions of physical therapy for right hip, and a series on injections in right hip.

Any way, since Dec 14, almost daily trips to the gym to build up my strength, that and working on the acreage until I couldn't stand the pain. Sit down until the pain passed, go back at the task.

In pretty good physical condition. I has appointments with the surgeon several times before the scheduled operation. Day of the operation the surgeon spent perhaps 2 minutes looking of the pre-op nurses notes, asked me if I had any questions. Post-op the surgeon just looked into the recovery room. By that time I was awake and sitting up. Surgeon and I waved at each other, he left.
 
My gall bladder is gone, too. It's been long enough ago that I don't remember much about the recovery process. But, I don't recall it being difficult or lengthy. Gall bladder was removed laparoscopically. I assume yours was too.
 
Don McCombs":2nhghhmx said:
Gall bladder was removed laparoscopically. I assume yours was too.
That's correct.

12 hours since the operation. No significant pain, taken no pain pills, Have two different prescription pain pills on hand, one for the gallbladder and one for right hip pain.

Will only take ibuprofen, mostly for back pain, before going to bed. Will know how well that works by tomorrow morning.
 
Hope you're still recovering well Eugene. Maybe you can make it to Cubarama this year? Haven't seen you for quite a few years.
 
:Dito:

My wife's nausea finally subsided on Friday, the 3rd day after the operation. We were glad to see her finally be able to eat/drink again without fear of repercussions. Her one week follow-up is today.
 
cubbrian":2epqtk9p said:
Hope you're still recovering well Eugene. Maybe you can make it to Cubarama this year? Haven't seen you for quite a few years.
Doing well. Actually getting bored with the weight limitation and restrictions on type of physical activity. 7 more days of restrictions.

Wife is on my case when she thinks I'm exceeding the restrictions. Told the wife a couple days ago that I was going to go mow on the acreage. Nope, wife said that she did not want me crawling on and off the tractors.

Cubarama, probably not. Having lumbar region pain problems, which limits the length of time I can stand.
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":2mwbqyfv said:
Wanna borrow my scooter, or the golf cart?
At this time, I really don't know if I'm going to Cubarama.

Week of 12 - 18 August is the first entire week where I have not had some sort of medical appointment in some time. Next week I have two follow up appointments for previous procedures.

July, I had 11 medical and physical therapy appointments.

No I'm not dying. Just catching up on medical appointments that I have had to cancel over the past couple of years. With the gallbladder, I would be feeling good for a while, make a medical appointment. Day of or a few days before the appointment, gallbladder would act up, nausea or vomiting.

And then I have some tasks that I need to catch up on, tree down in the pasture, 3 months worth of mowing to catch up on.

Son and I were talking about the weight and physical activity limitations. Son pointed out that I was wrong on my weight limitation, it's 5 lbs. Told son that I have wrenches that weighed more than 5 lbs.
 
Eugene":23oiuzrp said:
........ I would be feeling good for a while, make a medical appointment. ..........
There's your problem! I only make Dr Appointments when I'm NOT feeling good. :wink: :D
 
Scrivet":1zmv9wi9 said:
There's your problem! I only make Dr Appointments when I'm NOT feeling good. :wink: :D
Me too, most of the time. For some specialties you just can't get an appointment within a week or two. Some appointments are made weeks or months in advance.

I only have the optimist to make an appointment and get the eye examination.

Recently finished up with missed appointments at the dentist and physical therapist.
 
Today, received a $19.?? bill for my gall bladder surgery. Medicare and Tricare paid the bill. The original bill for the operation alone was almost $13K.

Great to have the gall bladder removed. I haven't been sick a day since the operation.

Only dietary problem, had to give up spicy food.
 
I never liked spicy food, so that was not a problem, but do have a problem eating fatty food. Never ate much of that either, so that was not a big deal.

On a different note, you had a lot of gall anyway so it must have made a big change in your personality. :lol:
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":1iu3q6bw said:
On a different note, you had a lot of gall anyway so it must have made a big change in your personality. :lol:
Thank you John. Your kind comments are appreciated.
 
Back
Top