freezing rain-sleet-freezing rain

It has been a little nasty here, with a round of freezing rain, followed by sleet, followed by freezing rain till it was about an inch deep, and with the sun down and temperature at 29F it has really gotten slick. Our house is built on a raised area to prevent water coming down the hill from creating basement leaks. I went out to check how slick it was, and thank goodness I took my cane with me, which has been modified for use on ice so that all I had to do was pull the tip off and use it to get back to house.
2017-01-13_0131.JPG
2017-01-13_0132.JPG
 
Misting and freezing to above ground objects by 7 AM this morning. Sidewalks and side streets had a slick thin sheet of ice by noon. Around 1/10" of ice accumulation so far.

Hoping the weather forecast is wrong. Another round of freezing rain tonight and a good portion of Saturday. 1/4 to 1/2 inch or more of ice forecast on top of existing ice. That much ice will probably take down power lines and tree limbs.
 
ya be care full on the ice, the last ''snow angle'' I did landed me in the hospital and C 3-4 fusion back in 2011

Mike
 
We were forecast to get ice last night, however it was a bit warm so we had a nice rain, is very overcast now . Chanc of rain this evening. We are forecast to have warm temps until the end of January .

Berlin
 
The extension offices in Mo. have someone in each county that records rain and send it in weekly. In Washington county it is me. The liquid total (melted frozen rain, sleet, and a little snow) for Friday was .66 inches. That is a pretty good layer of ice. Thank goodness most of it was sleet rather than freezing rain.
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":354q45ow said:
....... I went out to check how slick it was, ..........
I looked out the window. :D I don't feel the need to determine a level of slickness. To me it's like a light switch, it either is or it's not slick.
 
A little ice on the grass and trees, sidewalks and roads wet. Luckily, we missed the worst of this storm.
 
The freezing rain changing to sleet was what saved us. Only got a little freezing rain, but nearly an inch of sleet. When I melted it to measure the moisture, I had .66 inch of water. Had that all been freezing rain there wouldn't be a power line standing in the whole area.
 
Only receive a total of about 2/10th inch of ice. Not any where near the 1/2 inch forecast. No complaint here.

Been on the water side of 32 degrees most of the day with drizzle. Ice is melted off of the power lines and most other things. Went out around 9 AM to scrape ice from the vehicles. The south side of the vehicles and the south half of the windshields were clear.
 
Curious sight when I looked out my back window. The ice on the lower part of the hill across the creek has melted, but it is still there on the upper part.

2017-01-15_0138.JPG

The top of the hill is about 1 1/10 mile away, and the bottom of the hill where the creek is is 748 ft above sea level, with the top being 1,038 ft. The level where the ice stops is 830 feet above sea level. Unusual for it to be warmer in the lower part of the valley, normally that is where it is colder. It is the same on my side of the valley. If you note, the fences close to me, the power lines, etc. show no ice.

2017-01-15_0140.JPG

When I look out the other side of the house which is uphill. in the edge of the yard I am seeing ice on the fence, the trees, etc. My elevation is 849 ft. The first picture is approximately due North, and the last one about due south.
 
Back
Top