Had a chance to visit Ricky Racer on the 4th of July, I went through my 140 checking fluids, lights, flasher and strapped on my SMV sign on the rear rockshaft and even attached a 3'x5' stars and stripes Flag. Beautiful day, hardly any traffic on the 7 mile trip and what cars I did see honked and waved, yes I was really enjoying the ride.
I was nearing Ricks property when I hear a metal bang sound, I thought oh s#%* I snapped a bolt on my doubled up rear wheel weights, so I slowed and found Rick on his Cub to greet me. After a tour of the barns and some great conversation I mentioned to Rick of the noise I had heard when hitting a bump on the road and we shook the wheel, looked underneath and Rick even laid on the ground looking while I shook the rear end.....we just couldn't find where it was coming from.
On the ride back it started again and I was looking to see if anything was out of sorts and things were fine, made it home and started to check hardware.....everything was tight!
I decided to raise the rear end and pull the tires and find the cause of this BLASTED noise once and for all!
While removing the right rear tire my hand bumped something hanging from the rear and it made the same noise I was hearing on the road! You see the SMV sign was acting like a pendulum being hung on center, and with the crown of the road and the bumps it was hitting the fender, not all the time just when the conditions were right. I stepped back and laughed at myself feeling a little silly, but then thought while the tires are off it would be a good time to clean those hard to reach places! :lol:
I just had to tell on myself!
Bruce.
I was nearing Ricks property when I hear a metal bang sound, I thought oh s#%* I snapped a bolt on my doubled up rear wheel weights, so I slowed and found Rick on his Cub to greet me. After a tour of the barns and some great conversation I mentioned to Rick of the noise I had heard when hitting a bump on the road and we shook the wheel, looked underneath and Rick even laid on the ground looking while I shook the rear end.....we just couldn't find where it was coming from.
On the ride back it started again and I was looking to see if anything was out of sorts and things were fine, made it home and started to check hardware.....everything was tight!
I decided to raise the rear end and pull the tires and find the cause of this BLASTED noise once and for all!
While removing the right rear tire my hand bumped something hanging from the rear and it made the same noise I was hearing on the road! You see the SMV sign was acting like a pendulum being hung on center, and with the crown of the road and the bumps it was hitting the fender, not all the time just when the conditions were right. I stepped back and laughed at myself feeling a little silly, but then thought while the tires are off it would be a good time to clean those hard to reach places! :lol:
I just had to tell on myself!
Bruce.