RunningRed
Well-known member
Hey fellas while I wait for my new tacometer to show up I figured I would get started working on replacing the transmission cover and rear cover gaskets by the pto. I drained the 85-90wt I put in last year out and there was a bunch of metal flakes in it. I flushed out the transmission with kerosene last year before filling it. I don't know why there was so much flakes unless it was mixed in with the black sludge in the rear differential since both are connected. Could have been the gears still grinding after changing the clutch and pilot bearing last year. It doesn't grind in the winter only in the summer so next time I will be using 85-140wt. Also when I was looking into the transmission I noticed the 2 lower gears arent engaging on a few teeth and appear to be pitted. The rest of the teeth on both gear look good. I finished inspecting all of the gears and non are missing teeth and nothing appears to need replacing luckily cause I don't want to do a rear split this year. Next year I plan on going through the transmission. There looks like a lot of thick black sludge inside the top of the differential and I'm not sure but on the sides there appears to be oil galleries running down the sides to each axle bearing on the left and right but I see little holes I circled and there facing the back of the tractor not up to receive the oil.
What is a good way to clean all of the metal flakes and chips out? How can I clean out all of the black sludge with out making one heck of a mess? Any ideas how to check the the bearings in the transmission to see if there bad?



What is a good way to clean all of the metal flakes and chips out? How can I clean out all of the black sludge with out making one heck of a mess? Any ideas how to check the the bearings in the transmission to see if there bad?




