Extra Hole in Air Cleaner Cup

Stanton

501 Club
Dropped the oil reservoir on my H's air cleaner yesterday to replace the oil and found an extra hole in the inner cup. There are the regular holes around the top of the inner cup, but one hole of the same size/diameter as the other is located about half way down the inner cup. Unlike a Cub's air cleaner, this H's extra hole seems to defeat the purpose of filling oil up to the oil line, since this extra hole is well below that line and would allow oil to seek it's own level both inside the inner cup and in the perimeter (where the oil should be higher).

Any of you know why this extra hole is there (or should be)?
 
Oil level should be up to the full line, both the inner ring and cup will fill to that level. That is the purpose of the hole.
 
Eugene":1ik8ewhg said:
Oil level should be up to the full line, both the inner ring and cup will fill to that level. That is the purpose of the hole.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that different from a Cub's air cleaner--where the holes are only at the top?

Thanks for the reply, Eugene.
 
Stanton":8qcfenjj said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that different from a Cub's air cleaner--where the holes are only at the top?
Without looking, I don't know. Never really paid attention. Will check the cup on my Cub this afternoon. Curious.

I have 4 tractors with oil filled air filters. 3 for sure, not counting the Cub, have gaps at the bottom of the inner ring, where it's attached to the cup, to let oil fill the entire cup.
 
Here's a related question: Could used motor oil be used in the cup vs. new motor oil?

Since the purpose of the oil in the bottom of the air cleaner is to have tackiness to catch debris/dust, couldn't old motor be used?
 
Stanton":29r33q1z said:
Here's a related question: Could used motor oil be used in the cup vs. new motor oil?

Since the purpose of the oil in the bottom of the air cleaner is to have tackiness to catch debris/dust, couldn't old motor be used?

Stanton,

I use new motor oil, for no other reason than that's the way Dad taught me to do it. :)

Bill
 
You could. Never tried it. Put in waste oil storage container, then use in the hog oilers.

I use new 30 wt non-detergent oil, the generic cheap stuff. I usually keep a quart or two on hand for lubrication purposes.
 
Eugene":zi4gztay said:
...I usually keep a quart or two on hand for lubrication purposes.

I do too. But there are those times when I have to open a fresh quart or container of oil just to fill a 1 pint cup. Besides, this is for my H that had a brown "milkshake" in the air cleaner oil cup, so replacing it with used motor oil seemed like a step up, if you know what I mean.
 
Used motor oil may be a step up from what was there and save a few pennies but I think I would rather "use the same oil as is in the crankcase" as is recommended. If I wanted to save a few pennies I would buy the cheapest quart of house brand 30wt (nondetergent even) I could find and use fresh clean oil. Watch for sales and buy a couple quarts, it ain't gonna go bad. :)

I realized the air cleaner doesn't work the way I thought it did after reading about it in the H manual. I had been told/read somewhere that when the air traveled down into the air cleaner and made the sharp turn to head back up that the dirt riding along couldn't make the sharp turn and landed in the oil where it was trapped. Not even close by the way the manual describes it. For what it's worth from the Farmall H manual:

Air Cleaning System
Clean air for combustion is asssured by a three-stage oil-type air cleaner. A heavy screen in the air intake cap prevents large particles from entering the air cleaner. The air then passes to the oil cup where it goes through a bath of oil. As the air rises to the intake manifold, it passes through a series of oil bathed screens and the fine dust is removed. As the oil from the screens works back down, it carries the dirt with it and settles in the oil cup. The oil cup must be cleaned and refilled regularly with new oil.

Oil Cup Service
Remove, clean and refill the oil cup every day, or after every ten hours of operation (more frequently when operating under dusty conditions). Refill the oil cup to oil level bead with the same grade of oil used in the engine crankcase. The capacity of the oil cup is 1-5/8 U.S. pints.
Do not remove the oil cup while the engine is operating.
Before replacing the oil cup, clean or wipe oil or grit from top bead of oil cup, oil cup retaining clamp, and the surface under the clamp.
 
Thanks, Scrivet. When I posted that question yesterday, I had also just ordered the Owner's Manual for the H from Binder Books. I try not to ask questions that are answered in the Manual, but it was on my mind, so I asked.

I, too, was under a mis-nomer. I thought the air traveled down the intake tube into an empty inner cup, then traveled at a 90 degree angle thru the holes stamped in that cup over the top of the oil in the outer ring. The oil level line is approximately even with the holes in the inner cup. That's how I thought the Cub was as well. I didn't know that the air actually passed through the oil in the inner cup and the holes allow the air to exit the inner cup into the outer cup and on its merry way.

Learned something new today. I'll just fill the whole cup to the "Fill" line and let the oil do what it's supposed to do.

Thanks again. Manuals should be here later this week. :D
 
I hope you didn't take my answer as a "read the manual" type answer, I didn't intend it that way at all. There are several things I have read in the H and Cub manuals that don't fully sink in till I'm actually working on that particular part and read it again. Just like your question, I've read about the oil bath air cleaners a half dozen times and when I looked at it this time the light bulb went on! That's why I quoted the manual.

There's a couple more things in the "daily or every ten hours" catagory I'm going to pay a little more attention to. Rear axle bearings for one and as soon as I figure out/remember where the "Upper Bolster Pivot Shaft" :? zerk is located (somewhere up around the nose cone), it's going to get "two or three strokes of lubricant". :wink:
 
slightly off topic, but when I refurbished my 48 cub about 3 years ago I discovered when I removed the oil cup it was empty. I am forgetful, but could not believe I had failed to refill it after the spring check up and run it that way all summer. When I cleaned the cup up in preparation for paint, I realized it had small holes in it and having been parked on the gravel under the lean to all summer while I was building and installing shelves in the shed, it had slowly leaked out without being noticed.
 
Back
Top