Enclosed Trailer Recommendation needed

Peter Person

501 Club
My oldest son Erik is going to be moving from Ft Bragg, NC to Ft Rucker, Alabama soon. He has been accepted into the Warrant Officer School.
He's looking to purchase an enclosed trailer approx 8' x 24-28' and is looking for some recommendations. He uses a 2005 F-350 with 6.0 Powerstroke Supercab with an 8' flatbed to tow.
Kaufman Trailer has a manufacturing facility in NC, so he is considering that as a start.
I suggested looking at some landscaping forums.

Thoughts?

Peter
 
Tell Erik congratulations from Eugene, a retire Chief Warrant Officer.

My suggestion to Erik is to let the US Army move his household/personal goods. No cost to Erik. Movers pack up and unload everything.

Spent 20 years in the US Army. Prior to very change of station, I would pack up what I would now call camping out equipment. Sleeping pad, blankets, simple cooking and eating utensils. Minimalist survival stuff. Things to survive on until house hold goods and family arrived. Don't recall what the first household goods movement is called, been retired from the US Army for 27 years.

Actually, on PCS, Permanent Change of Station, being senior enlisted or as a Warrant Officer, I would go sleep in the enlisted barracks for a couple of days. There was always empty bunks, no cost to the US Army, and I didn't have to submit paperwork. While on the topic of being a senior enlisted or chief warrant officer, sick call or medical evaluation, I would go in and sit on the end of the bench waiting my turn. The interesting thing was watching the junior enlisted eyeballing my rank and me setting on the end of the bench waiting to see the doctor.
 
I can't help with the trailer but I second Eugene's comment on letting the Army move the goods. I done mostly Army moves but did a few DITY moves to collect the cash. If he has a lot of stuff then let the Army move. If he is single with not a lot of stuff then a DITY move will offset some of the trailer cost. The transportation folks can give an estimate of the payout from a DITY move.

Good time to be at Rucker, right at the beginning of the 100 degree heat! I assume he is going for rotary wing training. Amazing equipment down there!
 
Kaufman makes good trailers, we bought a gooseneck from them last year and have been pleased with it so far. IF you buy from them be sure and upgrade the tires to American made.
 
Attended a lengthy course at Fort Huachuca, AZ. One class mate had purchased a new mini mobile home. Drove to the course site, lived in the mini mobile home during the course.

By the time the course concluded, his reimbursements from the Army had paid for the mini mobile home.
 
One more thought on letting the Army move the household goods. Army will store the household goods until housing/quarters are available.

My experience was that there was frequently a wait until family housing was available. Longest wait for quarters was 6 months.
 
Back
Top