Electrical question on the H

Mr E

501 Club
New tractor, new problem. :lol:

New battery, new wiring. Starter just doesn't want to turn the engine over. It cranks so well, this is not usually a problem. But if it doesn't crank on 1st attempt, it turns way too weak.

I have removed the ground cable and cleaned the contact point. No change.

Took the starter button off. Took it apart and cleaned contacts. This did help some for a day or so.

I thought perhaps the wire from the start button to the starter was too small, since it IS much smaller than the cable from the battery to the button. So I connected one lead of my jumper cable (made from welding lead cable) from the starter button to the starter. No change.

If I turn on the lights, they are bright as can be.

Do I have a bad starter? Where do I go from here?

Thanks, guys.


Roy
 
Roy - your starter may have some drag from worn bushings. But I'd go ahead and replace that small cable with a larger gauge one. Jumper cables don't always give a positive result as they generally make marginal contact at best. Shiny painted tractor usually means poor grounds. Poor grounds means poor starts.
 
Thank you, Sir. I'll replace that and see what happens.

If I can ever get the grand-daughter finished with softball, I'll have more time to play. :mrgreen:
 
dirtyred":2zui63cc said:
i'll look at it tomorrow when i stop by to show off my new cub(s) :wink: :wink: :mrgreen:

Thanks, Dave.

Aleisha's regional softball game got rained out yesterday. They are rescheduled for 1:00 PM today @ Santa Rosa Beach, FL. So, I'll be late getting home, unless it gets rained out again. And that looks promising at the moment.

Hope to see you tomorrow.


Roy
 
Eugene":59vet7mx said:
Fully charge the battery up, then try again. Then if doesn't work take the battery back to be tested.

Eugene,
I was busy yesterday, so I did not get the cable replaced. I charged the battery this morning as you suggested.
It started right up!!

I still plan to replace the cable. I think it could be a little bigger. :lol:

Is it safe to "assume" there was enough power for the lights but not enough to turn over the engine?

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Roy
 
My experiences have been tha using the lights as a guage of battery condition can be very deceptive. I firmly believe in using a " loaded" battery tester to determine the condition of a battery, you can also check the condition of the charging system. I bought mine several years ago ( Schaumaker, is the brand name) for approx. $ 50.00, and it has been very worthwhile in eliminating battery/ charging system problems. I hope this helps. I also suggest that if you have not thoroughly cleaned the battery posts and terminals that you do that also.
Berlin
 
Back
Top