I buy a fair amount on :eBay: especially manuals, brochures, data sheets and that sort of thing. For most eBay I find the shipping is pretty reasonable and in some cases super cheap. Very seldom do I run across those who charge outrageous amounts. I guess I sort of mentally cherry pick when I am looking at items listed on eBay. In my experience over the last 12 years the vast majority charge very reasonable rates and I have no reason not to leave excellent feedback on that line.
My biggest beef is those who refuse to ship to Canada via USPS Regular Letter Post - those that insist on US International First Class are selling me something I do not want nor cannot get. Since 9/11 there has been a number of idiotic changes - that simply add layers of red tape and expense whilst at the same time reducing service and extending transit times. USPS IFC used to be 2-4 days with a tracking #, now it is held up at the border on the US side and then on the Cdn side. I never get them under 14 business days yet I have to pay 5 to 10 times the price of USPS Regular Letter Mail depending on what I buy. A manual to Canada costs a grand total of $1.75 for a normal 75 page Cub Owner's Manual. It costs a bit more for up to a 100 page manual. A TC-37 usually costs less than $5.00US. A PO-9 may cost up to $9.50 or so. Yet, USPS IFC costs a minimum of $12.50. Also tracking and delivery confirmation is no longer available and I don't like paying for something I cannot get so for shippers who insist on USPS IFC I simply do not do business with them. I will say this though, the majority of those whom I contact and explain the situation before the auction ends, usually will end up shipping via my preferred route and I haven't lost one yet :{_}: