East Coast weather!

Pabst

501 Club
What is the weather like on the East Coast from Sandy. I had to get some items from Home Depot and notice an exorbitant amount of gasoline generators being purchased.
 
So far mostly quiet just a little breezy in CT. Coastal flooding could be severe since the storm will be around long enough to influence 4 high tides. hurricane force wind likely on Monday with rain. I have lot of big trees around my house within striking distance. That's what I'm worried about. Many of the schools around here canceled earlier today for Monday and Tuesday

Like last year too you can't find a generator, gas can, cord or cord ends, or batteries around here.....and many other things are in short supply
 
Rest easy us Utility guys are on it.... well we will get to you sooner or later. Lots of planning and many crew heading east to help out.
 
ReTractor":5vhhhlwb said:
Like last year too you can't find a generator, gas can, cord or cord ends, or batteries around here.....and many other things are in short supply
Like patience :roll:
 
wfmdfm":462jbduf said:
Rest easy us Utility guys are on it.... well we will get to you sooner or later. Lots of planning and many crew heading east to help out.

Later, in my case, like the last time, Wally! My generator is working, this time! Ed
 
Generator's full of gas, car's full, stocked up on can goods, and everything's under cover. A year ago today was the "Halloween snow storm" We lived on the generator for a week. I suspect the same this time. It the Swansea, Dartmouth, Cape and New Bedford people I am really concerned for. All those anywhere near the coast are going to get slamed!!
 
Boss Hog":1cjui53m said:
well you need to already have all that if you live in the boonies like I do

Yeah I learned my lessons last year. I am well equipped this time around to ride it out but many folks are scrambling to get what they need.
 
Breezy with showers in Baltimore right now and it's getting chilly out there. I doubt if there are any generators left for sale east of the Mississippi.
 
It has just started to rain lightly here in western central Va. no wind at present. We are projected to get 2-4" of rain, possibly some snow . I started both generators yesterday and have an ample supply of gasoline. Walmart was akin to a zoo this afternoon, they were completely sold out of bottled water. I guess we will just stand by and see what happens.
Berlin
 
My District Task force sent out 20 ambulances to Egg Harbor, New Jersey to assist with evacuation of hospitals and nursing Homes. I was not able to go this time I hope they took their rain coats.
 
Still waiting here in Western Ma., schools are pretty much closed Monday as are most state colleges and universitys. Looks like I will be riding this one out from home. If it ever starts that is.
 
Being a retired dairy farmer and a firefighter I learned to always be prepared. The garden is harvested and in the freezer along with home grown pork. The generator sets on standby surrounded by gasoline cans. I believe Im all set. But what I worry about is the number of roofs I have.
Being a firefighter Im told that utility workers will not be out repairing electric lines until after the storm is over. Said they won't work on lines in 50-60 mph wind and driving rain. If that's true, roads will be closed all over. I hope we don't have to rescue many people or have a fire if we can't get anywhere. It will be a slow deal with an ATV.

Update,, It wasn't as bad as expected, wind took off the tar paper froofing on a 10 by 20 leanto. Our power was off for 5 hrs. during the night. Fly Creek Valley got hit hard, many trees down with wires, power still out for them. We only got 12 tenths inch of rain. Guess it's over for us.
 
...a little breezy, some mist.
25 gallons of gas, generator runs, truck is full of gas, chainsaws are ready, porch furniture tied down, flag put away.
I don't need anymore wood but if an oak or two come down nearby I'll find a place to put the wood. We have 12 cords split & stacked plus another 6-8 cords that need splitting from the October 2011 snow storm.

Forecast for Monday afternoon and night is really starting to look nasty.

Peter
 
Back
Top