John *.?-!.* cub owner
501 Club
It is unusual the way some memories you have not thought of in years come back unexpectedly. About 20 years ago my Dad was in the hospital in St. Louis and I went up to see him while I had a day off. My Ranger was in the shop with a broken transmission cover, so I drove Old Blue, which was a 1970 4wd 3/4 ton heavy duty. 350, 4spd, 411 differentials, etc.,old farm truck. At that time it was 25+ years old, and looked like ugly warmed over, dents, rust, cow manure, etc. I was coming home on I-270, which circles St. Louis, and back then traffic on weekends and holidays was fairly light on those days, unlike now. The truck being fairly old, and with the 411 differentials and no overdrive the engine turned up quite a few rpm to run at highway speeds, so I was just loafing along about 55 which was the limit then. After awhile a hot rod, don't remember what, but was in the GTO, Trans Am category, pulled alongside on my left, and the passenger nodded forward, and they took off. He then slowed down, and did it again. When he did it the 3rd time I waited till I was in his blind spot as he slowed down, and slapped my foot on the floor. The back side of that 4bbl unlocked and cammed open and that old 350 started seriously sucking fuel. Before the driver realized what had happened I had gone from 55 to 65+ and was about 4 car lengths ahead of him, at which point with the gearing that old 350 was getting out of it's power range. Of course he hit the accelerator and pretty son went flying around me, and as soon as he passed I let off and let my speed drift back down to 55. About 4 or 5 minutes later I passed him as he was pulling over to the side of the road with a set of red lights flashing behind him. I waved as I went by. :lol: