Coyotes...I hate em.

Ken (48 Cub)

501 Club
This past weekend was black powder only for deer. I love to chase deer with a smoke pole in the early fall. What I ended up chasing was coyotes :( They are becoming a big problem in Kentucky as in the rest of the country. I shot this one but missed his twin brother.

IMG_20151017_110440121.jpg
 
Ken, Last month several coyotes killed two of my neighbors goats and mauled two others. He put out some snares and caught a couple. About a week later I was walking the dog and she started barking at a culvert across an irrigation ditch. When the barking was returned, I looked to see if it was a neighbor's dog. It was a young coyote. Called my neighbor and he dispatched it with a pistol shot. That's the first time I've heard the barking from a coyote that sounded just like a dog.

Bob
 
I missed one the other day with my .222. I eatimated him at 250-300 yards. I held held a few inches over his back and over shot him. :evil: I should have put the crosshairs right on the top of his back and he'd been a dead dog. He was probably closer to 200 yards.
 
I have tried every trick I can think of to get the %#@* things to come to a call with no luck I placed a gut pile 250yds. from my blind I even wore gloves gutting it placed the guts in a tub dumped them out trying to avoid any human scent and the only thing I saw was buzzards fighting over the gut pile.
 
Yep Jim, they are very smart and elusive...hardly ever stand still long enough for a shot. That's why they called him "Wiley Coyote" :)
 
I love the early morning sound of a group of Coyotes on a kill, sounds like wild Africa 8) Lots of Coyotes here I never heard of as as a problem, just wild life.
 
Jackman":3dix7zhb said:
I love the early morning sound of a group of Coyotes on a kill, sounds like wild Africa 8) Lots of Coyotes here I never heard of as as a problem, just wild life.

Well, wait till they take down one of your favorite pets, farm animals, etc. You will change your tune....
 
Super A":1vytuhyx said:
Way more bad about them than good. The only good thing I have seen about them is they eat deer.

Al
I tend to agree. I have to use fence to keep out the deer (and woodchucks and racoon). I just counted 50 stalks of corn in the field beside me. 15 of the ears were heavily damaged, 1/3 or more eaten, some without a kernel. 13 had some damage so 37 out of the 50 were damaged by deer. The unopened ones tended to be the smaller ears where the husk overlapped the tips of the ears more. The damage is probably less inside the field. Coyotes though are not fussy what they eat. Cats and dogs have to be kept inside at night and have been known to disappear during the day. We no longer try to keep a barn cat. Coyotes did me a favor one time. We had way too many barn cats not all of which were friendly. I was about to get out the old 12 and thin them. The coyotes found them and did it for me. Our last old barn cat who was too lazy to hunt lived on until he was too slow crossing the road one day. :( Vern
 
Back
Top