COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Impacts

We are still pumping out sausage in NJ and can't make enough. My 99 mile trip in the afternoon now takes the same 90 minutes as the 5am leg which is wonderful after a loooong day.
 
I just got a call from our trash hauler that they suspended recycling. They will still pick up, but it now all ends up in the landfill. All I can think is, there must be manual sorting of the recycling and they want to eliminate any exposure to objects that might harbor the virus. I’m sure there are a lot of items put in recycling bins that have to be removed. I still see styrofoam sticking out of in the recycle containers, yet it says right on them it’s not recyclable. I don’t know how long the virus lingers on various surfaces. One business where I thought you’d stay employed was waste disposal, but if you’re on the recycling side of it, perhaps not.

I was listening to local radio and some parks have closed because people wouldn’t abide by the 6’ rule. I have about a 40 acre park with limestone walking trails 1/2 mile from home that I walk with my dogs. Even now with nice weather, I typically only see 1-2 people in the park in a 30 minute period. That’s good for me, but you would think a lot more people would want to get out of the house.
 
Highway 50 through town, traffic way down with the Tech College, schools, churches closed, and the folks working in Jefferson City advised to stay home.

Drive past a dental office and two medical clinics every day to and from acreage. Either no vehicles in patients parking lots or at most one. Same for most of the local business. Hardware store yesterday and day before, only two people attending the business when normally there would be 4 or 5 folks working there. This is going to really hurt the local economy.

Two city parks. Went metal detecting at one on south edge of town. Road gates locked with a sign stating that the park was still open but the play grounds are closed.

Folks are out walking, usually small family groups. Everyone is keeping their distance except for the wife. For some reason she is around all the time and wants the hugs and kisses.
 
I did a welding job yesterday for a friend who is one of the bigger farmers in our area. He raises about 100 acres of tobacco, soybeans, wheat, and strawberries. We were talking about tobacco and strawberries. He said his strawberries will be ready to pick the end of the month and his tobacco will be ready to plant next month. The problem is he's been getting help from south of the border for as long as I can remember on a work program. He usually gets about 16 guys a year. He said as of right now they can't come because of this virus and travel restrictions so he may not be able to get his tobacco in the ground (it's in his greenhouse growing right now) and his strawberries will probably rot cause them boys pick them everyday. He has about 3 acres of berries.

He also said Florida and California were suffering because of it now and things that are in season ready to harvest there. Tough times for the agricultural industry!
 
The economic impact, from all this, is going to be brutal! I expect that a lot of business's on forced closure will be unable re-open and will be flat broke. Lot's of restaurants are staying open for carry out only but I suspect that in many cases, that won't even pay the electric bill, never mind all the other expenses. So Sad!
 
Shane, regarding your neighbor with the strawberries: I was thinking about a situation in Florida a bunch of years ago when they clamped down on migrant farm workers who were "taking jobs away from Americans". Well NO ONE else wanted to do that back-breaking work, and crops were rotting in the fields. The growers couldn't afford to pick OR ship anything. Finally they tried to open it up to charities/food banks, etc. as a U-Pick. Problem there is liability...

If your friend could figure out a way to cover liability, and then figure out how to separate the pickers (for the virusl), maybe he could open his fields up. You would think the government would step in and realize that if a solution isn't found, our grocery stores will soon run out of ALL food. That stuff has to come from somewhere!

This might not help financially, but possibly could feed folks and avoid waste. :?

NOTE: CBS just had a segment on this. No solution offered, but maybe it will get something started...
 
Gary Dotson":19o64ju9 said:
The economic impact, from all this, is going to be brutal! I expect that a lot of business's on forced closure will be unable re-open and will be flat broke. Lot's of restaurants are staying open for carry out only but I suspect that in many cases, that won't even pay the electric bill, never mind all the other expenses. So Sad!
News last night. Individuals who received an IRS direct deposit tax refund will receive their $1200- stimulus payment shortly. It may be August before the $1200- will be paid to individuals who received a check for their IRS tax refund. The news didn't mention when individuals who owed/paid the IRS their taxes would get their check.

I don't see how local business can get financial help, a loan, from the banks. My local bank has only drive through service.

Along the same banking line. Purchased more stock market stock a couple weeks ago. Normally an electronic transfer of funds, took a week for the funds to be transferred to the brokerage.
 
I don’t have a small business, but my understanding is that businesses with less than 500 employees are supposed to go to SBA.gov and apply for a loan that is forgiven if they retain their employees. Not sure exactly how it works, or how fast they’ll get the money, but the idea from what I understand is to allow them to try to get an infusion of free money for something like 8 weeks, with the idea that they can continue to pay and retain employees and quickly restart after the virus peaks and hopefully subsides to the point that businesses can reopen.

I’ve listened to the CDC doctors and I guess now they have determined that wearing a mask is a good idea. My wife works for an ER and now has been ordered to wear a mask as of last night when previously she was told not to. She is not patient facing. Just a couple of days ago, I saw the Surgeon General advise people not to wear a mask so, obviously it’s an evolving situation.
 
Eugene said:
Went metal detecting at one on south edge of town.....

We went out last weekend til dark. Found a few things. Silver buckle was the find of the day.

We've been making some masks. Work is getting close to requiring us to wear them. I'm thankful to still be able to work through this.
 
Jackman":2ktssd4w said:
I'm a essential truck driver in NY Hudson valley area I drive 150 -250 everyday and believe me there is plenty of traffic out there I don't think people are willing to just stay home , I don't understand all the traffic its really not any less than a regular work day several of the old rail road bed walking trails had parking lots packed full of cars people on the trail spreading the virus. We need more cooperation to help end this thing.
It’s probably no small coincidence that NY has the most reported cases in the nation by a wide margin. This is followed by NJ’s bullheaded population. We have a large Hasidic Jewish community that refuses to comply. They recently held several weddings with hundreds in attendance ignoring the Governor’s orders. The hosts received fines and charges which included child endangerment as their kids were there in the large crowds. As a result 5 Rabbis died from contracting this virus. Now this week police have been breaking up huge funerals, arresting and charging people, many of whom came down from Brooklyn ignoring travel restrictions.
Sorry that they lost someone to this but they are clearly not getting it. Somethings definitely wrong with a person if they lose multiple friends and family and continue to be blind to it.
Many of this community shop where we do and has our anxiety soaring.
People just need to stay apart and home.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... oronavirus
 
Based on the research, if someone isn't wearing a mask when you are anywhere with people regardless of the distance then they aren't paying attention. It can be transmitted by normal breathing.
 
Funeral services in Ireland for the deceased who have died from the virus, are conducted by the priest saying the funeral Mass with no family in attendance, just the completely empty church. He wiil then attend at the graveside with only the immediate family present observeing social distanceing. All businesses are shut down except supermarkets and essential services. Try and stay isolated as much as possible, try to stay safe. Our son delivers essential foodstuffs etc and leaves the on the doorstep and leaves. We the over 70s are cocooned at home for the past week now and maybe for weeks to come.
 
Shane N.":1p3s56zz said:
Lt.Mike":1p3s56zz said:
People just need to stay apart and home.
But what if we find a deal on some tractor parts? :D
I did just that in the beginning but it got real here since then. The weather channel app on my phone has a little red virus emoji now in the bottom right corner that if hit will show me that we’ve had 24 deaths in my county and 23 the next county over. (How kind of them)
50 miles north in NYC they’ve got refrigerated trucks brought in to house the dead as the morgues are full.
It’s as real as it gets, don’t take it serious and it’ll be like this for you.
Stay home.
 
I still haven't brought home the tractor and implements I bought a month ago. I was paying them extra to deliver it from VA to Chapel Hill, but at the last minute, decided it wasn't worth huffing and puffing around a few strangers unloading stuff. Not sure when I'll get it now...I could have been working on it all the time!! Oh well... :?

Time to go mow pastures!! Y'all be safe.
 
Dale Finch":ruaf1fw3 said:
I still haven't brought home the tractor and implements I bought a month ago. I was paying them extra to deliver it from VA to Chapel Hill, but at the last minute, decided it wasn't worth huffing and puffing around a few strangers unloading stuff. Not sure when I'll get it now...I could have been working on it all the time!! Oh well... :?

Time to go mow pastures!! Y'all be safe.


I have my buddy's 53 cub I did some work on in my garage now that he's afraid to come and pick up. Been waiting 3 weeks. His wife is battling cancer so he wants to play it safe. Oh well, it's not eating anything!
 
Some of the funeral homes, in our area, are conducting funerals on line. I'm guessing, maybe, the immediate family would be attending live.
 
Back
Top