Colorado Wildfire

Ron, It's west of Ft. Collins, about 30 miles north of us. The first night we saw the glow of the fire, then the smoke obscured it. Wind changed direction mid week and I couldn't see the mountains all day long. Last I read was 118 homes gone, 55,000+ acres burned and little containment. Some people have been able to return to their homes, and a lot more are still waiting for that permission.

Bob
 
Thanks Bill, not in any danger at all. A large part of the burn area had standing dead trees from beetle kill, and apparently they burn like they've been soaked in gasoline.

Bob
 
Another fire west of here, over the range towards Woodland Park. I could see the smoke rising up over Pikes Peak today. Might be sending planes up to Ft Collins or New Mexico this week to help with the firefighting efforts.
 
Update: There were up to 13 fires burning, three or four of the smaller ones have been contained. The High Park Fire has consumed 248 houses and 83,205 acres as of this morning. Raymond was up here yesterday and said that the Air Force Reserve unit he is with in Colorado Springs will be flying two KC 130s, that are equipped to drop fire suppressant, to help with the fire west of Colo. Springs. We've already had more 100* days in June than we normally have in a whole summer. I guess the dog and I need to run through the sprinkler.

Bob
 
Bob:

Glad you and Sue are ok as well as Raymond and other members in Colorado. I sure hope that you folks get some relief soon. We will have you all in our prayers. (+)
 
Picture2.jpg
 
We launched two C-130's today around noon, with Wyoming sending two MAFFS birds down as well for a total of four here in the Springs. Not much dropped today due to high winds and heavy smoke and waiting on the Forrest Service to set up the reload pits. We will be sending 'em out again first thing in the morning.
Any of the firefighters here collect patches? I might be able to get my hands on some MAFFS Airdrop Velcro types if anyone is interested.
 
I have to go to Colorado Springs late today on a family matter. Yesterday an economy car was $24.95. Today the same car is $159.00 plus tax. What's going on?
 
There are a lot of out of town folks here to support the fire fighting efforts.
You'll be hard pressed to find a hotel room right now as well.
 
Thanks Raymond. Fortunately I have a place to stay. A cousin is picking me up and I'll buy an old beater.
 
Fire has moved into town and is burning numerous structures on the west side of the city. AF Academy is under mandatory evacuation as the leading edge of the blaze is under two miles from the fence. Firefighting reinforcements have been called in from Denver and Pueblo to battle the blaze.
 
BDFinch":22n4fkbl said:
Raymond, I was thinking about you and Bob, and hope everything is still OK...??? :big say what:

Me too. Hope you all avoid any catastrophes! Such a shame for all those who've lost homes and businesses to these fires!!
 
It is all over CTV and the other networks up here. Looks real bad. Prayers are with all the folks in the area. Property can be rebuilt, lives cannot .... so I hope the evacuations progress well. I understand there are a bunch of waterbombers from Canada helping out in all the States that have fires burning augumenting the US birds. Sure hope they can help get the job done :!:
 
I'm not affected by the fire directly. Firefighters and additional equipment are still coming in to assist in the efforts. Army personnel are working heavy equipment to cut fire lines up in the hills, AF personnel are launching air drop missions from Peterson and the Academy. National Guard units will be helping law enforcement with patrols of evacuated areas against looters.
Things are looking better on the east side of the range, but it's still burning pretty good to the west side of the range towards Woodland park and the Rampart resevoir. Light showers and lower temps have really helped the last two days, but the forcast is hot and dry for the next week.
The news here is reporting 346 homes lost, but that does not include the ones in more rural areas or businesses that burned. Local and national donations have been tremendous.
 
Rosie and I were out to sevearl areas around Cincinnati yesterday and everywhere we went I could smell smoke. I found out on the internet this morning that the Colorado fires smoke is traveling through the jet stream and can be seen and/or smelled as far as the east coast.
 
hat the Colorado fires smoke is traveling through the jet stream and can be seen and/or smelled as far as the east coast.

It's getting into aircraft cabins too. Not visible smoke, but definitely the aroma of burning wood.
 
Back
Top