Chainsaw Help

ricky racer

501 Club
You know, with all the work I've done on tractors, motorcycles and cars, you'd think I could get my darn chainsaw to start. Anyone here have any tips on getting my Stihl to run?

Chainsaw_Guy_1.jpg
 
Well Ricky it is a good thing it didn't start in that position, you could have been singing soprano :shock: Do you have spark?
 
If not a humorous post.

Checked for spark and compression - of course. Removed and cleaned the air filter - of course. Dumped old fuel and installed new with carburetor cleaner - of course. New spark plug.

Internet search for initial carburetor settings for you model of chain saw. Long short story is I had a Stihl weed eater that didn't run right for years. After looking up and using initial carb settings - it runs right.

A bit of starting fluid.
 
Try bending your knees a little more and keep your back straight. Also keep your fingers closer together for a better grip and less muscle strain. It you get it started let us know where to send the get well card.

Some
Times
It
Hurts
Long
 
Ugh! The operator is breaking one of the 10 commandments of proper chainsaw use...."though shall not STIHL."

Get yourself a Jonsered or a Husky. That STIHL doesn't have enough grunt!
 
Get yourself a Jonsered

I have a Jonsred power unit on a Cutters Edge vent saw. The Fire Fighters have pulled the starter rope out of it 3 times in the last month. I guess the physical fitness program is paying off :lol:

Love my 450 Husky
 
Steve Butram":hond0cjw said:
Get yourself a Jonsered

I have a Jonsred power unit on a Cutters Edge vent saw. The Fire Fighters have pulled the starter rope out of it 3 times in the last month. I guess the physical fitness program is paying off :lol:

Love my 450 Husky

I actually don't own a Jonsered either. Got a Husky 350 and a Stihl 044...actually prefer the Stihl!

I see Rudi edited my post above....sorry Rudi. I thought that would be O.K. amongst us. Given the location of that chainsaw bar, "grunt" doesn't quite seem as funny as my reference.
 
Personally it wasn't a problem ... I is NAVY trained. But ... well you know the rest of the story. Hope it is cool ,,,,,,,,
 
Check the muffler and make sure nothing built a nest and plugged it up. Also check the screen in the muffler and burn it off if it's plugging up. As far as the pic....Have someone else pull the cord. You can't get enough pull by pulling straight up. :headbang :headbang
 
John *.?-!.* cub owner":1y790cv4 said:
this is not the first site I have seen this picture on.

I was pretty sure the hair do didn't match ... :bellylaugh:

You certainly got things stirred up a bit my friend. :wink:
 
Does it have a tank fuel filter on the fuel line? You can take a piece of wire and make a hook and fish it out and clean filter or replace also blow out fuel line while you are at it. I was at the parts counter at the small engine shop the other day guy with Stihl saw came in and asked them to order a carb. kit. The parts man said it is cheaper to replace with a new carb. than to buy the new kit now days.

Chris
 
we are not worthy , we are not worthy ( i added sound , ricky :wink: ) coppersmythe........................................ps: i had a homelite for about 15 years , cut many a tree and never went for repairs once . loaned it out , and well , y'all know the rest of that story . i have a stihl farm boss for about three years now , and been happy with it , lots of water oaks ,couple red oaks , and a pretty nasty ironwood ,for its size :shock: stihl crankin first pull ( after it "pops" on choke :wink: ) .
 
Back
Top